Good Jeep or auto shop North KC MO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Jeep or auto shop North KC MO

Having issues with my 1996 ZJ which i dearly love. It feels like it is misfiring and sputtering while in reverse and drive and through the acceleration process. Been doing it for months now but it just has gotten really bad lately. It is particularly bad when stopping when it feels like it is going to die on me. Which it has twice already. Died on me about six months ago and they came back with it was a faultly O2 sensor which killed the engine and wouldnt let it restart. One month later it did it again then they said it was a faulty crank sensor and replaced that. I started using engine cleaner every once in a while after fueling up and just took it to the stealership a few weeks ago for a tune up, engine service, and checkup to figure out what was wrong. too much money later they said it was a cracked exhaust manifold that was the problem. I had that done at Meineke for $300 less. Problem still not fixed and I am getting a multiple cylinder code on my check engine light.

I have no idea what the problem is...i am chasing it now and just am tired of getting the stealership telling me the next problem that really doesn't fix it. Do any of my fellow Jeep owners have a good automotive shop in the North KC MO area that you recommend? Also thinking about an engine rebuild and trans rehab. Anyone got a good place for that or how much it would cost?

when my 96 did that, it was a bad spark plug, i forget the code number, but it means cylinder x misfire. when was the last time the plugs and wires were replaced?
    Wes

Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Comment

When I took it to the stealership two weeks ago. Nothing changed when they replaced the plugs.

Comment

6 cylinder or v8?
        Wes

Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Comment

6-cylinder. Check engine light is on and the codes are P0300 (random multiple cylinder misfire detected) and P0302 (cylinder 2 misfire detected). The plugs were replaced so not sure about it. But will probably pull a plug next to see if i can chase down whether it is a plug or wire and then go for the distributor cap and rotor next. That is the current plan for now after I call the dealership and tell them they didn't do **** and didn't find the problem even.

Comment

Originally posted by pingzingr View Post
            6-cylinder. Check engine light is on and the codes are P0300 (random multiple cylinder misfire detected) and P0302 (cylinder 2 misfire detected). The plugs were replaced so not sure about it. But will probably pull a plug next to see if i can chase down whether it is a plug or wire and then go for the distributor cap and rotor next. That is the current plan for now after I call the dealership and tell them they didn't do **** and didn't find the problem even.
            Hopefully yours is not the same, but a buddy with a 97 Xj was having the same issues. It turned out to be a cracked head. Has it overheated or gotten warm? I would have your shop start with the basics and do a compression test and leak down test on all teh cylinders.

Good luck with it,

John
            1997 Cherokee, 3", 32" MT's, and too many lights.. :)

Always Smilin'

Comment

Went through this with my 98 TJ. Had just done a tune up a couple weeks before replacing dist cap & rotor, spark plugs, and wires when it started acting up. Immediately thought it had to be a sensor, etc. Come to find out the plugs were bad. I'd pull your plugs and check them.

Comment

Yeah it was acting up before the tune up so I can't imagine I got two bad sets of plugs...but I am not sure if they replaced all the other stuff. I am going to pull the #2 cylinder plug and shift it around to see if i can isolate if its the plug, wire, or the cylinder itself maybe.

Comment

Good call. Mine was acting up prior to that as well. When I pulled the plugs it was obvious. Hope yours is as easy to fix!

Comment

Originally posted by kcmudbug View Post
                    Went through this with my 98 TJ. Had just done a tune up a couple weeks before replacing dist cap & rotor, spark plugs, and wires when it started acting up. Immediately thought it had to be a sensor, etc. Come to find out the plugs were bad. I'd pull your plugs and check them.
                    did you get a refund for the bad new plugs you put in ?

and what brand plug and where did you buy them ?
                    I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
                    Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
                    it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
                    Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

check the gaps on the new plugs; maybe they didn't gap them right.

Comment

The cheap Champion copper core plugs run best. A lot of people have had rough running from platinum plugs - including me.

It almost sounds though - like you have fuel issues. There is a fitting on the fuel rail that you can rent a guage from O'Realy and check pressure on with the engine running - it should be about 40 psi. If it is less than that consider a fuel pressure regulator located on the fuel rail. The fuel filter might also cause problems with low pressure. If the pressure is good, you might have injector issues. I recently bought some rebuilt injectors from Ebay for about $80 total - they were the newer style with 4 spray ports.

The fuel rail gets hot on these and cooks the fuel when you shut the engine off - leaving behind some nasty residue that will plug injectors.

Also make sure the plug that goes on the injectors is making good contact - tweak the pins a little and use electrical diaelectric grease.

Then look for a vacume leak - that can make it rough as well.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Post script on this...

Corrosion on the #2 cylinder lead on the distributor housing and plug wire. Rotor cap also had some corrosion. Replaced distributor housing, all plug wires, and rotor cap. No issues yet. $80 for fixing on my own.

Comment

Working...
                          X