flippin hatch on 98 grand

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flippin hatch on 98 grand

ok...it locks and unlocks, but found out it doesnt want to open anymore.....after it was loaded with groceries.....any ideas?
    "I've only been a Jeep owner a few years, but I'm finding that a Jeep is a lot like a woman. They clean up nice, but they're more fun when they're dirty..."
    Easy livin'--10 jku rubi ;),2012 cummins mega, 95 ZJ

Stop buying groceries.
    I guess you haven't tried kicking it yet?

Comment

mine has this issue too. not sure how to fix it tho lol

Comment

My XJ did the same thing when I first got it. I had to pull the hatch cover off from the inside and then the bar that goes from the handle to the latch itself, was just out of adjustment. Put it back the way it should be and it has worked perfectly ever since. It's kind of a PITA but it's really the only thing that works

Comment

Not sayin its the same thing but one i went to look at wouldnt open and the plastic handle had broken where it pushes the metal latch. Bring it over tommy Ill plasma it open for you

Comment

our current 96 did that when cold, whoever had it before me used a heavy grease and when it thickens in the cold, the latch works, but the spring wont pull the two pincher parts off the bar and allow it to open. I waited till it warmed then sprayed the HE!! out of it with pb plaster and brake cleaner to get the grease out, worked great since. dont use wd40 to lube it, as it freezes at 20 something degree's.
            Wes

Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Comment

My '97 Grand did the same thing. Here's what I did:

1. Crawl in back, take out the spare and anything else movable.
              2. Take all the screws you can reach out of the panel that covers the inside hatch.
              3. Pull it out as far as you can and stick your arm down inside until you find the latch and open it.
              4. Check to see if the lock nut is gone off the arm - that's the most common problem. I put double lock nuts on it when I repaired mine - worked out well.
              --
              It's not a bad road filled with potholes and broken pavement, it's just Jeep-friendly.

Comment

thanks guys......well with the knee issuses....i cant crawl back there right now so i guess it stays stuck for a while......yay!
                "I've only been a Jeep owner a few years, but I'm finding that a Jeep is a lot like a woman. They clean up nice, but they're more fun when they're dirty..."
                Easy livin'--10 jku rubi ;),2012 cummins mega, 95 ZJ

Comment

Working...
                X