98 Jeep GC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 Jeep GC

what auto trans would a 98 Grand have in it? Its an auto... Looking at buying the Jeep for my daughter but the tranny is slipping...

inline six is 42re. the v8s either had the 44re/44rh/46re/46rh

Comment

Originally posted by Turner-2000TJ View Post
      what auto trans would a 98 Grand have in it? Its an auto... Looking at buying the Jeep for my daughter but the tranny is slipping...
      The shift soleniods are a common problem and about 100 dollar fix. not saying thats what wrong but very good chance if its not so bad that the band are burnt.
      Ive done them several times. let me know if you get it and want to check it out.

Comment

On that subject, Will, my '98 ZJ 4.0 has a whiff of burn on the dip stick (just a whiff; the fluid is still bright), and the 1-2 shift at light throttle takes longer than I'd expect. The previous owner said she replaced the trans about 3 years ago, but didn't say if it was new, used, or rebuilt. If a pan drop + filter + driveway pump'n'fill doesn't fix it, what's my next step? Looks like ATF+4 runs about $6.29 per quart, so I'd like to keep the number of pan drops to a minimum. :)

Comment

If you need a shift solenoid I have one. PM me if you're interested. They retail for about $110. We can work out a deal. I won't use it because I put in an entirely new power train in my 98 LTD. It's from the 42RE, which is most likely what you have in the 98. However, if the tranny is slipping, the shift solenoid is probably not the cause. The shift solenoid controls the shift from 3rd to OD. It can also cause the tranny to be "stuck" in perpetual 3rd gear, causing sluggish acceleration and you'll run about 3500 RPM at 70 mph. If the tranny is slipping and a fluid flush and filter change does not cure it, you're probably looking at something more serious.

Comment

Working...
          X