97 ZJ Power Steering Pump

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 ZJ Power Steering Pump

Any words of wisdom on replacing a 97 ZJ (5.2l V-8) power steering pump?

I've already brushed up on my vocabulary of obscenities, blasphemes and all-purpose curses - any tips beyond that would be greatly appreciated :twisted:

Also planning to replace both hoses - it's only another $30 in parts, so it beats having to deal with this crapola a second time if a hose fails.

And yes - the pump is bad. You can see the shaft wobble when it's running, and it sounds like a 500 lb. cricket with an attitude problem.
    --
    It's not a bad road filled with potholes and broken pavement, it's just Jeep-friendly.

be sure to have or get a pulley puller, the serpentine pulley on mine was a PITA to get loose, but the whole swap took under an hour.
    Wes

Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Comment

The first puller I got from O'Reilly wasn't the right size, so I'm on my way back.

Since it was easier to pull the top radiator hose for clearance, I'm also flushing the radiator, replacing the top and bottom hoses and the thermostat. It's turning into a job... ;-)
      --
      It's not a bad road filled with potholes and broken pavement, it's just Jeep-friendly.

Comment

Finished it up. Turned out the pulley removal kit from O'Reilly wouldn't work - the OEM pulley didn't have enough clearance for the puller to connect, so for $20 I bought the new pulley. Biggest pain was the serpentine belt - didn't go back on until I smashed my thumb. Guess it needed the blood offering.
        --

Comment

mine required sacrificial blood from a left hand knuckle. that or i'm just a klutz with my left hand.....
          Wes

Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Comment

I did my 02 TJ PS pulley this weekend. I thought O'Reilly's puller kit was bad so I returned it and hit up autozone for theirs. Same chinese ****, different part number. I had to remove the fan shroud in order to press the new pulley on. Did the thermostat while I was in there, and the factory housing cracked on it forcing me to the parts house for a 3rd time. I feel your pain, and gave my blood up to Chrysler, and wore my calfs out standing on my toes working on the motor all day!

Comment

Working...
            X