Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Shop Recommendations

Hello,

My jeep has developed a nasty appetite for 10w-30, to the tune of 1 quart per 1000 miles. I've done some looking around the web and have noticed that this is either a valve or valve stem issue. I would like to get this resolved as I love my jeep and do not want it to continue its addiction to 10w-30. Anyone have a recommendation for a local shop that could take it for a week and break the habit?

Thanks!

so how bad does it smoke when ya drive down road ?
    I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
    Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
    it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
    Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Originally posted by spunebil
      so how bad does it smoke when ya drive down road ?
      That's the funny thing, I don't see any smoke!

Comment

Call Mike at 4x4 land he'll take good care of ya

http://www.4x4land.com/

5602 Topeka Boulevard
        Topeka, KS 66609-1005
        (785) 862-8008

Comment

First check the PCV valve and hoses for proper connections, good hoses (no cracks), etc. If it's not functioning then the crankcase pressure can build and the rings won't seat well letting oil by the rings causing your consumption.

Before doing any 'work' get a leakdown test to make sure it's the top end that's sucking oil and not loose rings... If it's just valve stem seals then you can DIY if you've got an air compressor..

Oh and you can try 10W40 or 15W40 (diesel oil commonly) and see if that slows down the consumption...

Comment

Thanks again! I will do the leakdown test and see where that gets me!

Comment

actually me four banger needs a quart about every month and a half (no miles as no speedo/odometer) and I never notice smoke and it doesnt mark its spot much either (leak) .

so i just check oil every week or so and add it when needed !
              I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
              Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
              it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
              Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

04... I'm in the same situation with the same motor.

Mine is most likely also the valve seal. Here's my reasoning: It doesn't smoke noticeably while driving BUT after sitting over night upon first startup I get a small puff of smoke. So I think it's leaking past the valve when I shut it down at night and pooling up a bit.

I highly doubt it's the rings but I'm agreeable that a leakdown is best option.

If someone here wants to run a leakdown for him (since I don't know the exact techniques I would be glad to lend my testing device.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by WJonRubis
                    04... I'm in the same situation with the same motor.

Mine is most likely also the valve seal. Here's my reasoning: It doesn't smoke noticeably while driving BUT after sitting over night upon first startup I get a small puff of smoke. So I think it's leaking past the valve when I shut it down at night and pooling up a bit.
                    Is that a known issue with those engines? If so then go with the known issue.... For some reason I read jeep and I was immediately thinking of the 4.0L straight 6 and not the WJ (guess the username should have clued me into that one) - which engine is it - the V8? If so then you might check really check the PCV system and the intake gaskets as I seem to recall some issue with the intake leaking and sucking oil on those (might look for TSB's on the issue)

Comment

Thanks guys its a 4.7 V8. I'm going to check the pcv valve today.

Comment

Working...
                      X