AX15 Trans Rebuild

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AX15 Trans Rebuild

Looking for some info on rebuilding my AX15, I have a couple of them and needing to have one of them working. The original one shifted fine for the most part until one of the shift forks either bent or broke (I think, haven't opened it up yet) and its stuck in reverse, the other one (picked up from a yard a couple years ago as a spare) shifts fine in and out of all gears except 3rd gear is shot (shifts into gear but as soon as let clutch out it grinds and kicks back out of gear).

At this point I am needing one of them rebuilt, either by myself or a shop...if its not going to cost an arm and a leg I would prefer a shop do it. I could rebuild this myself so it's not a matter of lack of knowing or wanting to do it, it's more of due to my availability/time to get it done. I know I will need a master rebuild kit with bearings and syncros, along with any other damaged hardware replaced, I see several master build kits available online but not exactly sure which ones to avoid and which ones I would be better off with.

I am also contemplating doing a conversion from the internal slave to an external, but having trouble finding a parts Jeep that hasn't already been robbed of the parts...or the person selling the parts thinks they are made of gold and asking ridiculous prices such as 200 for just a bellhousing. So, if anybody knows where I could find an external slaved AX15 I would be greatly appreciated, below is listed the rundown that I have found to used these transmissions:

-1994-1999 XJ 6-242
    -1994-1995 YJ 6-242
    -1997-1998 TJ 6-242
    -1993-1994.5 ZJ 6-242

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Mike
    92 XJ - 4.5" with 33x12.5's

So, have I stumped everyone or does nobody know anything about the AX15?

I asked in a different thread (in the WTB section) a while ago looking specifically for parts for the AX15 and only response I got was a response from Spune that was sarcastic in nature with no help to the original post (which is ok and normal for him and I understand this).

I know most Jeeps anymore are running the AW4 or a different auto trans, which is why I am having the issues I am finding a donor Jeep that hasn't been already pillaged of the manual pieces I am needing, but I am kinda underwhelmed at the response on any questions I pose on this subject...not exactly wanting everybody to respond saying they have no clue but at least maybe at least some of the more knowledgeable members/lurkers could provide input, info, or places to look that I might not have thought of or have missed.

Mike

Comment

I would reach out to MUJEEPER (ROB WOODS) in the club as he has rebuilt is AX15.

Comment

Here is a series of videos on youtube that we found helpful when my son rebuilt his ax-15.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1hF...52223DE59EF5A0
        Jim Banner
        A couple of old YJ's with lots of junk and stuff

Comment

Jim and Jim, thank you for your responses. I will reach out to Rob for some more info to see if he can provide anymore info than what I have found as well as any tricks he learned and jim Banner if you found anything along the way as well feel free to pass along any tricks. I had already seen those youtube videos and planned on following those in the event that I do mine myself as they are nicely done with a lot of good info in them.

Thanks,

Mike

Comment

I pulled mine a few years back, attempted to rebuild.... then wised up & gave it to the pros. I took the tranny (already pulled) to A&V transmission. They replaced a few gears, seals, & a few other odds & ends that needed work. All in all, it was less than 300. Pretty good considering it's transmission work. They're located in merriam, just easy of I-35.

If it matters, I have an AX-15 out of a 95 YJ.

Comment

Thanks for the info Rob, I will give A&V a call to see what they can do for me.

The AX15 you mention, is that what you had rebuilt or is that one you have as a spare that you might be willing to part with?

Thanks,

Mike

Comment

Working...
              X