Death Wobble at 55-60?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death Wobble at 55-60?

My 06 Wrangler Unlimited has developed a wobble between 55-60, which seems high for death wobble, and I'm having a hard time finding it. I've replaced the steering stabilizer and the track bar bushings. I have a couple of questions:

1. is this death wobble or some other common thing I'm unaware of?

2. what is a good way to isolate the cause of death wobble, if that's what this is?

Thanks all!

Tires out of balance; wheels out of balance; ball joints; tie rod ends/steering linkage (pretty much anything that has a grease zerk); out of alignment......the list of possible culprits is quite long.

Get ahold of all the components mentioned and yank on them pretty good - feel if there is any play in anything. A new stabilizer won;t compensate for trashed TREs or ball joints for example.
    -Mike B-
    '01 XJ Sport
    '11KK Limited

Comment

i have battled death wobble for the past 3 years, in my 99 TJ.

The main cause of mine the originally was my tires being out of balance. I kept knocking off the weights on the rims. So, I purchased Centramatic Balancers. This corrected my problem for a while. This upgrade cost more, but in the long run is much cheaper then re-balancing my tires every few months

http://centramatic.com/Page.aspx?page=Balancers

Of course the death wobble came back. This time my front tract bar was the culprit. It kept becoming loose, I would tighten it back up, and wait for it to become loose again. (I had a Superlift front track bar on it at the time). So I purchased a MetalCloak Solid Chromoly front track bar. MetalCloak, usually expen$ive, (worth it IMO) but their track bar is reasonably priced.

http://www.metalcloak.com/TJ-LJ-Jeep...Bar-p/7035.htm

I have had ZERO problems with the new track bar --- SO FAR :)

FYI -- I run with HEIM joints instead of TREs on my steering (drilled out my knuckles and installed Rock Krawler's steering upgrade (which eliminates the steering stabilizer), although this upgrade is no longer offered and is not "DOT" approved, but my jeep doesn't do street) I have also replaced the balljoints. Basically I just replaced everything except my RC fixed LCA and my Rock Krawler double adjustable UCAs

Good luck -- it seems this is a never ending battle
      Last edited by RoKn; 12-27-2014, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X