anyone have a good resource for torx bolts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone have a good resource for torx bolts

does anyone have a good resource for torx bolts like the ones used to hold the hinges for the doors and windshield on a YJ ??
    I know the parts places have them I was just wondering if anybody has founded a good discount place for them right now I'm seeing them for about $1 a bolt. .

Torx bolts suck. I replaced all of mine with stainless allen-head bolts that have the countersink bevel and a flat top. Looks better, won't rust in place, and won't strip out like those crappy torx bolts do. I trash every torx bolt I take off the Jeep and replace with something better, regardless of the condition.

Comment

I agree with you regardless of shape I try to replace it with something better .. did you find any good source for your stainless bolts ? I'm needing 24 at my last count and at nearly $2.00 + a bolt that's $ 48.00 & change I'm trying to save every dime I can they've cut my hours at work thanks to ob care ..

Comment

If you need them in quantity, Fastenal or McMaster Carr are good sources. If you just need a few, the farm stores may be your best bet. The one in Paola has pretty decent prices on odd hardware.

Comment

I didn't really shop around. I just bought them at Ace, which is definitely NOT the cheapest place!

Comment

Also - make sure to get the same grade or higher of bolt when you replace. I replaced the Torx on my Jeep's upper control arms, and didn't check to make sure I had the same grade. When I torqued it down, it came apart. Luckily it failed then - could have really sucked to be out and about and having it fail.
            --
            It's not a bad road filled with potholes and broken pavement, it's just Jeep-friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by TommyG View Post
              Torx bolts suck. I replaced all of mine with stainless allen-head bolts that have the countersink bevel and a flat top. Looks better, won't rust in place, and won't strip out like those crappy torx bolts do. I trash every torx bolt I take off the Jeep and replace with something better, regardless of the condition.

^^^ Agreed. I don't always swap them - but I always dislike them.
              -Mike B-
              '01 XJ Sport
              '11KK Limited

Comment

Torx heads are a bolthead designed by the devil himself!

Try getting one out thats all rusted up! I busted half a dozen 45, 55 heads trying to remove them, and the bolts were soaked in liquid wrench, heated among other techniques. About the only reliable way I found to get them out is weld 3/4" nuts onto the heads and use breaker bar! THEN they would come out!

Wally

Comment

One of the other nice things about graded bolts (besides added strength) is that they come out easier than a regular nickel plated nongraded bolt, even if they are rusted.

Wally

Comment

Fastenal believe it or not doesn't have one McMaster Carr has them but not quite the sameI'm going to research it more when I get to the shop tomorrow

Comment

Fastenal don't have allen head bolts ? ..... the one on 40 Hwy did when I was there like last year or so to replace the Devils bolts (torks) on me jeep ! ;)
                      I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
                      Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
                      it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
                      Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

the one I went to last month couldn't match the bolt in stainless Torx or Allen .. I'm a bigger fan of McMaster Carr anyways ..

Comment

then try sutherlands ! ...... they have bolts in same size as them dam torx !
                          I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
                          Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
                          it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
                          Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Working...
                          X