Stock Pittman arm removal?????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock Pittman arm removal?????

Hi, I've been fighting a PITTMAN ARM for 4 days. Is there a pin, key or clip to take out that I'm missing? I've beat it with a hammer, air chisel, 2 pullers with no luck.Suggestions

Last edited by RoKn; 03-22-2014, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Lots of heat with a plumber's torch, then a quick cool down with water. Do it couple of times. Make sure you are heating the pitman arm and not the shaft as the shaft has a bearing and seal out of the box. Then get a proper puller along with some PBBlaster,WD40, and the like. Beware, these are probably flammable in direct flame. . Heating and quick cold down makes the steel react to the expansion and contraction quickly. This helps break the compression in splines for being installed for the many many years.
      Mike
      Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

Well, I didn't have access to a torch of any size. Tried the butane, no luck.So I cut one side & drove a chisel in the grove I cut. POP GOES THE WEASEL!! Thanks for the help!! Dean

Comment

For future reference, a big steering arm puller to put tension on it, then whack the side of the arm with a 3-lb sledge a few times and it usually pops right off. Sometimes you have to retighten the puller before it really pops off as it will begin to slide down the steering shaft and loosen the puller's tension.

Comment

Working...
          X