overheating issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overheating issues

I have a 2005 wrangler with an afermarket flexilte fan that keeps overheating. I replaced the thermostate which was sticking but the fan still didnt run right. Replaced the control unit and that didnt work either. Got the top of the line control unit from flecilite and still having issues. Anybody got any ideas what to check next?

Does the entire radiator have a shroud to direct the air through the fan?

Factory plastic tanked radiator? They aren't very large so if the fan isn't pulling air through all of the radiator it may not work on these hot days. Also, if there is any plugging of the radiator (internal or external) it might not keep up.

Make sure you don't have any air pockets in the system.

Finally, the sending unit in the housing is resistance based and the gauge isn't an actual gauge, so if the sender is bad it will give some funky readings.

Comment

Hi Tommy, thanks for your reply. I went by the shop this morningsnd got sn update. I think wr have it narrowed down to the control unit. This is the third one weve put on. The first didnt work right, the second actually went POP about a minute after starting the jeep, the third one which is on there now is flexilites top of the line unit. It drove fine for about 10 miles then overheated. With this control unit the fan should always run at low speed and ramp up to high speed when it gets hot or ac comes on but it's not coming on when it should. Cant think of what else it could be but hard to believe they would ship 3 bad ones in a row. Also just for future reference is there a shop in the area that you would recommend thats good with jeeps? If i ever get back on the road I'd like to get involved in the club and go on some trail rides. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Well, I don't use any shops because I do all my own work, but can certainly recommend 4x4 Land in Topeka. It's not local, but pretty much anyone who has used him gives rave reviews. He comes to KC often and picks vehicles up. I believe he only charges fuel costs to do so.

Comment

Thanks, good to know. I'm only about an hour from Topeka.

Comment

From the sound of it, you recently bought the jeep or converted over to electrical fan? Can you put the original back on and see if that works out. If you installed the electrical fan (being that you go through controllers), why?
            Mike
            Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

What speed is it overheating at? Low speed ie around town or highway speeds?

Also did you put the electric fans on or did you buy it from someone else that way?

Has the radiator been inspected? Pump? Any drive/ accessory belts been recently changed?

Install a winch?

Wally

Comment

I agree with Mike, if you have the old stuff try it and see if the overheating goes away. If not then you know it is a mechanical issue. But, it sounds as if the she shop you have it at has decided it is the controller. When I converted to the taurus fan on my Grand Cherokee I used a controller from DC Control and it has been great. I researched for a while and it was the one that everybody in the Grand Cherokee world was recommending. http://www.dccontrol.com/
                Some people just need to get over themselves.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I spoke to my mechanic today and think we have this just about solved. The latest control unit is working except that it dosnt come on at temp so flexilite is sending an internal sensor and adaptor to replace the radiator probe and that should do it. Yes i just bought this jeep about a month ago. I couldnt reinstall the original fan because it has a 1 inch motor lift to tilt it back on itas well as 1 inch body, and 2 inch suspension lift. By the time this is over at least ill have a state of the art cooling system. Thanks again for all the help. See you on the trail.

Comment

I hope the electric fans work out for you. If you want to test them out, get on the highway in 95 degree heat and go up a hill, watch your temp gauge.

Wally

Comment

Hmmm. I have the same setup with body/suspension and mml. Didn't have an issue with raising the fan shroud or cutting the base of it out enough to not worry about fan hitting it. Don't have cooling issues. I hope the fan works out for the better. Next may be the radiator swap. Before pulling old radiator, do a flush to the cooling system and clean out that heater core....then replace it.
                      Good luck.

PS I'm out in Lenexa.
                      Mike
                      Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

Originally posted by jagular7 View Post
                        Hmmm. I have the same setup with body/suspension and mml. Didn't have an issue with raising the fan shroud or cutting the base of it out enough to not worry about fan hitting it. Don't have cooling issues. I hope the fan works out for the better. Next may be the radiator swap. Before pulling old radiator, do a flush to the cooling system and clean out that heater core....then replace it.
                        Good luck.

PS I'm out in Lenexa.
                        The fan setup may have just been the previous owners preference. Hopfully my cooling issues are done. Should know today or monday as sone as the part gets here from flexilite.know any good places nearby to go wheelin? I havent even taken it off road yet.

Comment

I've got a MML in mine, and still use the stock radiator/fan/shroud. It just needs to be loosened and tweaked a bit when you put the MML in....

Comment

Working...
                          X