i need help please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i need help please

Is anyone willing to help me replace my track bar on my xj, i cant get the lower axle bolt out. Its froze in the sleeve and the sleeve separated from the bushing. Ive tried everything i can think of outside of cutting the bolt out n which i dont have the tools to do so.

have you tried a pin punch? spray it down with PB blaster or (even better) a 50/50 mix of ATF and Acetone (see here). spray it down once or twice a day for a couple days and let it sit and do it's work. Then use a pin punch and a hammer to shock the bolt loose. If that doesn't work after a couple whacks, I'd cut the bolt head off, preferably on the inside of the bracket, with a thin sawzall.

Next time smear lots of antiseize on the bolts before you put them through the steel sleeves. this is a pretty common problem with control arm and track bar bolts. :)

Comment

Another solution that I learned from an old timer:

Set a 10-lb sledge head against the end of the bolt you are driving out. Hit the sledge with a 3-lb sledge as hard as you can. The inertia of the sledge head will carry through the bolt better than if you hit it even with the 10-lb sledge alone.

Comment

thanks for the replies gents, the crisis was averted though i ended up using an angle grinder and cutting the darn thing out, should have done that from the get go. and for anyone wondering, the ace hardware sells the exact same bolt (grade and all). once again thanks guys

Comment

They sell a Siezed bolt ? ...... :) ......;)
          I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
          Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
          it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
          Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Working...
          X