1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.0HO randomly dies or sputters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.0HO randomly dies or sputters

my 1996 Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0HO has a quarter million miles and over the last few days it will randomly die, I find this happens if I come off the gas and go right to break, it also seems more common if I am turning RIGHT while breaking or if I am creeping along in 2 wheel high my RPMs normally runs about 750 at idle

also it seems to happen more often if I ran the Jeep to operating temp, then shut if off and let it sit for an hour or 2, then fire it up and drive

Sounds like a bad throttle position sensor or idle air control motor. Google and a voltmeter will tell you if that's the case.

Comment

NEW INFO: if I put the Jeep in Neutral (automatic) as I come to a stop it's not an issue, if I give it a little gas, again not so much of an issue...

Could the the lock up on the torque converter be sticking?

Comment

wait I like Tommy's thought better than mine

Comment

well I cleaned the IAC and took the TPS of and checked it, seems fine

put it back together and it ran the same, a few hours later it would barely idle and the transmission started slipping

I replaced the TPS and IAC (junk yard) and the issue is much better, but now I have a stutter in reverse

Comment

Might also look at the MAP sensor. I had a similar issue with my XJ right after I bought it. Wound up being a bad MAP sensor - swapped in a new one and no more random sputter or dieing.
            -Mike B-
            '01 XJ Sport
            '11KK Limited

Comment

no trouble codes, BUT this morning it is back to running like **** again. I guess it's time for a junk yard CPS

Comment

Well, the dying and stuttering is intermittent. Some times it is there, other times it's not. This is driving me crazy. Only thing I have not swapped out is a CPS... mainly cause I have not found one that has the right plug at the junk yard

I have tried a TPS, IAC and MAP
                Last edited by ericfx1984; 09-05-2012, 07:35 AM.

Comment

advanced sells them for $50 new. I think it's worth the money to know that the sensor works or I have an extra one out of a 2000 xj for $20 but the wires are cut in the middle so you would need to splice in your old connecter.

Comment

I might consider the $20 one, I just can't swing $50, when my wife left she charged up all the cards and the bills, drained the bank accounts, lol, it's just not in the cards right now

Comment

Just let me know

Comment

I have noticed that when the Jeep sputters or dies at a stop you can smell fuel, so it's either over fueling itself OR the spark is stopping/getting weak

Comment

Originally posted by ericfx1984 View Post
                          I might consider the $20 one, I just can't swing $50, when my wife left she charged up all the cards and the bills, drained the bank accounts, lol, it's just not in the cards right now
                          dude, why are you even shareing this info ?!
                          I dont give a rats arse about you or your situation !
                          and I am pretty sure No ones does Too ! ;)
                          I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
                          Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
                          it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
                          Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Originally posted by spunebil View Post
                            dude, why are you even shareing this info ?!
                            I dont give a rats arse about you or your situation !
                            and I am pretty sure No ones does Too ! ;)
                            Cause I wanted your unique input Spune

Comment

one another note this Jeep is using a lot more fuel than usual

Comment

Working...
                              X