Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who on here does Ring and Pinion setups?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who on here does Ring and Pinion setups?

Once I get the new tires next week, I am focusing on regearing to 4:88s. For the time being it will just be on the Dana 30 and Dana 35.
    I wanted to see if there was anyone on here who does em and how much you would charge me to help me with setting them up. I would love to be able to do it in the Jeep just because I have a really screwed up back and not removing the diffs would be really nice but I will do what I have to do.
    I will have the gears and the install kits to do bearings etc. They are the full kits with shims etc.
    If anyone is interested, shoot me a reply here or a PM if ya like. Prob looking to do it sometime during the first couple weeks in Sept on a weekend day.

Thanks! Todd

With a Dana 30, getting it in the sweet spot is paramount to the longevity of the R&P because they are small and will move around some from torque/ traction.

You want someone that will shim it as perfect as possible not someone that will shim it "good enough".

I trust Maywood Transmission in Independence. I have 4 R&Ps set by Jeff at Maywood and not one of them has failed, locked 30 on 35" tires. He has done several R&Ps for regional off road competitors from straight line, tractor pulls, and big horsepower 4x4s.

4x4Land out in Topeka also has a reputation for doing a great job setting up R&Ps.

Wally

Comment

I was sure hoping to catch someone on here so I can avoid the heavy shop fees..lol In all fairness I haven't checked with Maywood so I need to. Wally- Your inbox storage is full :)

Comment

Originally posted by Toddmac View Post
        I was sure hoping to catch someone on here so I can avoid the heavy shop fees..lol In all fairness I haven't checked with Maywood so I need to. Wally- Your inbox storage is full :)
        I checked at Maywood today, way out of my league right now...to the tune of 1100 bucks for labor.

Comment

Mike Burns did mine
          I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
          Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
          it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
          Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Yikes, 1100 to set up 2 axles, just for labor? Sure that didn't include the seal kits or some other parts?

Last I checked with Mike @ 4x4 Land, he was around $250/axle. That was a couple years ago, so get your own quote, but it was reasonable for what you're getting.

Mike Burns closed JP Evolution earlier this year; as far as I know, he's no longer doing gear setups for people.

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
              Yikes, 1100 to set up 2 axles, just for labor? Sure that didn't include the seal kits or some other parts?
              Ya I'm sure :( ...it was labor only. I plan on getting a kit that has both sets of gears and all the hardware etc so I told them I just need a labor only quote which they confirmed when they contacted me. I know they do great work but at the present time, money is an issue so I have to shop around.

Comment

If you can break down your axles and remove them, its a lot cheaper to get gears/lockers setup. With the cost of gear change, you should be looking into the locker arena as well as you don't want to pay for this service in short time.
                Since you have a D35, are you sure you want to spend any type of money, ie gear setup, locker, etc, into that type of axle?
                Best now to look for a replacement. Leaf spring setup is a lot easier and cheaper compared to a coil/link setup. Don't know what model Jeep you have, but figure leaf pads roughly $20 each (real high estimate) compared to $200 for link brackets and coil buckets to perform the same thing in configuration (locating axle and supporting the weight). Shock brackets can be apples to apples sort of speak, but depends on your shock choice and other frame configurations. YJs can benefit from a upper mount relocation for better travel. XJ and TJs can benefit from ball pin eliminators (BPE).
                Welding leaf perches is much easier and much less time consuming than links and buckets. So you can get an idea of the costs.
                My 8.8 swap into my TJ: $200 for axle, $200 for gear, $200 for setup, lunchbox locker (lockright) new $375, $35 new brake pads, $200 link/coil brackets, $250 welding, $120 misc - ds adapter, brake lines, few new lugs.....you may find something already setup for your application.
                Good luck.
                Last edited by jagular7; 08-23-2012, 08:57 PM.
                Mike
                Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

Im keeping my eyes open but have come to terms that I need to invest some into the 35 as it is to keep it on the road. Its a daily driver and next week will have 35s...if my current tires werent so bad, I could buy some time and not spend a dime on this one and just run the 33s but they suck, all are cracked and 1 is bald nearly...an apparent victim of the one wheel peel.
                  Mine is a 95 YJ so leafs :)
                  I keep hoping to find someone down the road who has a 8.8 setup in thier YJ and they have decided to move onto a different diff and are selling the 8.8. Right now that chance is equal to that of me finding Sasquatch at Price chopper so it is still wishful thinking.

Comment

OK, they are out there as I've found one for my 94YJ.

Don't just stick to this forum. There are a lot more forums out there for Jeeps with other people selling their stuff. You may have to take a little road trip but hey, welcome to Jeeping.

Have you thought of a XJ 8.25 rear axle? Perches and shock mounts get welded on SUA and there you go, upgrade to that D35. The ds make just bolt right on as well. THe brake lines (fluid and parking) may still be a complete bolt in. There are lots of upgrades for the 8.25. They do come in a 27 or 29 spline axle shaft (can't remember exactly). But getting a locker, the spline goes to 31s and alloy shafts. You can then add ZJ discs to it for the better rear brakes. What is nice about 8.8 and the XJ 8.25 is the same lug pattern as the front. Or you can look at adding a Super 35 to your D35. Its an all-in-one kit to make your D35 much stronger and since its your D35, there is no change to the configuration into the Jeep. It does require gear/locker setup though. Exterior trussing for strength, full time automatic locker, 4.56 or 4.88 choice, and matching spline alloy shafts.

To add, you can search for a proper gear ratio to match your front axle under car-parts.com. I'm getting a front axle from Topeka that way.

If you can, don't put on the 35's. You are not prepared enough to run them and you already know this. See if you can find some 31's off CL to make your YJ still streetable. Your wheeling time will be limited, though you can still wheel with the 31's, just not the same obstacles as with 35s. But it still won't keep you from driving on the trails.

Can I assume you have a 4.0l? If you do, did you know the 4cyl YJs had 4.10 in the axles. So you may be able to find something like that in a D35 for the cheap and run that for now just in the rear. You won't be able to place into 4wd till you get matching front. Check car-part for something like that as well.
                    Mike
                    Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

Originally posted by jagular7 View Post
                      Can I assume you have a 4.0l?
                      I have the 2.5 with the 4:10s ,I have considered the super 35 deal, much like everything out there for every good thing, I find someone saying its a bad idea, which spending money on the 35 is generally not an awesome plan. I have ran into a few folks on here and around that have the d35 with 35s and lunchbox lockers and so far haven't exploded them, I suspect that is a matter of luck. I also read, I think on here where someone broke a 35 axle backing out of the driveway lol.
                      I have looked into aftermarket axles...260 avg to put some good ones in it, brakes off a cherokee are cheap and an easy fix. Lunch box locker around 340 ish... I can make it decent but there will always be some doubt in the back of my mind as to when the grenade is gonna blow...then again sometimes that little thought in the back of your head saves your *** by keeping ya thinking. LOL.
                      Im sure something will come along, right now the money situation says I wait it out and take it very easy on the thing. I have already come to terms that actually wheeling it this year is prob not on the books but thru the winter I can gather some stuff. I really would like to put a lunch box in it before winter so it can attempt to get thru snow better...assuming we get snow this year. If ya run across any good swap in diffs, keep me in mind! Timing will be the issue..I had the wife talked into letting me get an 8.8 that was a steal at 125 bucks and I ended up loosing the diff on my pickup so all my money went to getting it back up and watching the 8.8 go to someone else. That dude have everything...diff, mounting kit for it. etc. For 225 I could of bagged everything exept the R and P for it and a locker. So the deals are out there like ya said, I just need one to roll my way when I can afford to pull the trigger again.

Comment

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/3225031507.html
                        I found a dana 35 with a OX locker and 4.56 gears. It's in Denver but it's only $375. I'm sure someone is going to Denver in the next month or so.

Comment

Here is an Exploder 8.8 for $150 per axle or $250 for a pair, in St. Louis

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/pts/3176505752.html

This one is a little further away in Madison (380 miles)

http://madison.craigslist.org/pts/3144176059.html

As far as D44s

A complete Cherokee D44, for $300

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/pts/3175738046.html

Here is the whole enchilada with 4.56 gears and an e-locker, but they want $1000 for it..... couldn't hurt to talk to him.
                          http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/pts/3141724769.html

Here is an 8.25"
                          http://springfield.craigslist.org/pts/3193103986.html
                          http://desmoines.craigslist.org/pts/3170265251.html

That kind of gives you an idea.

Google Craigslist Finder, use one of the free finders, set the parameters for how far you want to drive, stuff like that.

http://www.searchtempest.com/results...sk=&subcat=sss

Comment

We need to take up a collection for my Jeep. Who's in?? This is killing me lol.

Comment

I can fully relate! The acroynm for JEEP is: Just Empty Every Pocket!

You say its rare as seeing Sasquatch at Price Chopper? LOL I swear I saw Sasquatch at Price Chopper about 3-4 years ago! It was dressed like a women that was an honest 7.5' feet tall, wearing a red dress, a size 15+ red pump high heel, a blond wig and hands large enough to palm a fair sized watermelon. She/he, it was in the meat section, no less, buying several pounds of tender loin! Both me and the butcher had a hard time not staring!

Originally posted by Toddmac View Post
                              We need to take up a collection for my Jeep. Who's in?? This is killing me lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X