I have questions about doing a hack n tap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have questions about doing a hack n tap

I have a 95 and a 96 cherokee and I'm thinking about doing a hack n tap. I have many questions, but mostly: Why should I cut the output shaft, and how do I know how much to cut off.

you have to shorten the output shaft because the tail housing is changed out to a shorter assembly with roller bearings on the ones i've done. it took 45 minutes to do my first one, and about 20 on the second one. deburring the splines is what took me the longest.

the instructions I got from RE where very clear about where to measure and cut.
    Wes

Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Comment

It seems that you are talking about a SYE and not a hack n tap. Are you talking about a perchased item or a garage fix?

Comment

We've done hundreds of these over the years. We have several of them in stock both new and used. If you'll call and talk to Garrett he can talk you through all your questions and I'll instruct him to make you a smokin deal on parts. Mike. 4x4land. 785 862 8008
        4x4LAND.com
        Mike
        Knowledge is priceless

Comment

purchased SYE, what are you referring to if not putting a SYE on the transfer case?

there are 2 basic styles of SYE, replace the output shaft with one that is tapped so you can bolt on a flange, or cut it and tap it yourself.

I think i'm missing what your trying to achieve if its not a SYE.
          Last edited by WesSaun; 03-30-2012, 10:15 AM.
          Wes

Comment

I guess what I'm talking about is the latter of your two choices. I just want to cut the shaft and tap it to bolt on the front yoke. Then, from what I understand, you can use a front drive shaft as your rear drive shaft.

Comment

I'm not familiar with doing that without buying the "flange kit", just bolting a yoke to an unmodified output shaft doesn't sound like a good idea to me. the longer the output shaft is past its bearing and seal would make it prone to bending. i've seen stock tj's bend output shafts when bouncing hard in the rocks.
              Wes

Comment

The replacement output shaft doesn't have a female thread to hold the yoke on the end. Its male thread. That kit also includes a new end housing with seal to work with the new output shaft.

For using using your front shaft as your rear shaft, I don't think there is a direct flip from front location to rear location. Check Rubicon Express's website for their kit, if its still available.

I've always heard, the front shaft used in the rear is the XJ front ds. It does need to be shorten as well.
                Mike
                Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

you can install a new flange on a front cv driveshaft and use it as a rear.
                  4x4LAND.com
                  Mike
                  Knowledge is priceless

Comment

The 96 & older NP231's have a longer tailhousing. There is more involved in putting a hack-n-tap on this style t-case as the tailhousing will need to be replaced with one like that offered on the 97+ NP231's.

I may be wrong on this as I have limited experience with Hack-n-tap SYE's. I have always gone with Advanced Adapters SYE kits.

Your best bet is to take Mike @ 4x4Land up on his offer. Contact him, get the info needed and he has already offered to make you a deal on parts. He will make sure you get it done right the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by mjburns View Post
                      The 96 & older NP231's have a longer tailhousing. There is more involved in putting a hack-n-tap on this style t-case as the tailhousing will need to be replaced with one like that offered on the 97+ NP231's.

The switch over actually happened on the 96 Jeep, not the 97 as many people seem to think

You can also use the tail housing from a newer tcase, just get it from the junk yard

Comment

A hack and tap means exactly what it said ! What part of that discription dont ya get? )
                        I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
                        Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
                        it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
                        Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Working...
                        X