98 xj rear leaf spring problem pic add

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 xj rear leaf spring problem pic add

ok installing a 3" lift on the xj started yesterday and have tried just about everything to get the i bolt out of the rear springs. I have looked at google and found some help the most common is to cut it out. Have soaked it in pb blaster for well over 24 hours and it will not move. Any help ????
    Last edited by coryatkc; 03-11-2012, 12:07 PM.

Is the bolt spinning or can you not even brake it loose? I had a problem on mine where the bolt has rusted to the inside of the bushing. What we did on mine was took a torch and melted the bushing out of the spring. I had new leaf springs so I no longer needed my factory ones. I'm not sure if i would do this if I was reusing the springs because it may make the spring weaker.

Comment

heat it up with a torch and the hit it with the PB Blaster the heat will draw the oil in
      KB0ZNR
      05 LJ, Chevy LSS, 241OR, Mutt long arm, OBA, AEV High Line, Full cage, 35s tube steps and bumpers, 31.5 gal fuel tank

Comment

Don't forget the 5 ft cheater pipe on your breaker bar! That always worked for me (with a combo of PB Blaster, never had the convenience of a torch)

Comment

I had similar problem when putting currie rock crusher shackles. I took me large drift pin punch and big beater (3 ppund drill hammer) to drive the bolt out of bushing.
          I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
          Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
          it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
          Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

If all you are doing is adding a leaf like the 3inch I did just drop the axel down remove pin holding pack together put new leaf in c clamp pack tighten new longer bolt and reattach axel. Had my two leafs and front springs in in about 2 hours with new shocks.

Comment

Thanks to all well after a few hours of thinking about it i did soak all the bolts in pb blaster and then took a 1/2 breaker bar with pipe and some of my corn fed fat and muscle and it came out ! with working as much as i do it might be done by the weekend . i will post befor during and after pics. when it is done.
              AGAIN THANKS for all the input !

Comment

Well its done . soon as i get a few min. i will post pics

Comment

before

after

3" RC lift with add a leaf bought new leafs for genral spring in olathe and then added the leaf it has 31X10.5X15 i dont think it is bad for my first lift kit.
                  my son and i replaced the front nose cone as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X