No announcement yet.

Cheap engine swap from a 4cyl to a ???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so the 5.3 seems like just as good as/if not better than the 4.0? Gas mileage? difference? If it was a bigger motor then the trans would have to go. I looked up used SBC's today on craigslist. you can get small block chevy's for pretty decent prices but to find a tranny on it all in running condition is a little different.

Comment

You can not use the jeep auto if you are doing a swap but the AX15 works nice You wont need as deep gearing with the V8 so after you stop doing burn outs at every light gas mileage will be better
      KB0ZNR
      05 LJ, Chevy LSS, 241OR, Mutt long arm, OBA, AEV High Line, Full cage, 35s tube steps and bumpers, 31.5 gal fuel tank

Comment

I have a worn out 4 banger and am planning to go up to 38.5 x11.50 boggers so I will rebuild engine put in a crower cam and lifters , build some try - y header ( 1 38 to 1 3/4 to 2 1/2) and to get the most for me dollar
        5.38 Gears! :)
        In a hp 44/ff60 combo and probably add a 4 low kit later ;)
        Last edited by spunebil; 02-11-2012, 07:50 AM.
        I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
        Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
        it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
        Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

I like the manual tranny as well. whatever it ends up being, it will still be a stick shift

Comment

nv4500, chevy has them too. bell housing and all the parts are stock,no adapters. They do have a 32 spline output you would have to swap your transfer case input. it does seem like i have read about an upgraded 6 gear planitary for the 231 i think they come out of a chevy transfercase so you migh be in luck,upgrade and get the right input.

Comment

the NV4500 is to much for a jeep and very hard to fit. The NV3550 or the AX15 All 3 cost about the same to bolt up to the back of the 5.3 The 5.3 does not come with any manual tranny so the flywheel is hard to get from GM there is apart number but its not made any more And the 4500 is just to long to fit with a stock chevy transfer case. The ^ gear planitary in the 231 is not as easy to find as you think. Useing a 241 OR is cheaper and the 241 or only comes in 23 spline.
              KB0ZNR
              05 LJ, Chevy LSS, 241OR, Mutt long arm, OBA, AEV High Line, Full cage, 35s tube steps and bumpers, 31.5 gal fuel tank

Comment

If you ever go out on a limb to do a carbed 258 into yer jeep let me know i got 3 laying around haha

Comment

Guess I am still way to new on the site to do anything.. and bringing up a old thread lol. Just wanting to know if to Eatrocks has a shop, and with possible contact info

Comment

I have same delema. I have a 89 wrangler with worn out 4 lunger and was looking at turbos ! It would give me 6 cylinder power for like 3 grand ! If I am going to spend that much, might as well go with a V8 ! I figure to get a V8 chevy 4x4 pickup with at least tbi ! :) and swap it into me jeep ! Swap as in all of it ! Engine, tranny, tc, wireing ! ;)
                    I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
                    Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
                    it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
                    Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

If your looking to go the cheap. Never happens as even the liitle the things do add up and then becomes more expensive then just rebuilding your 4cyl and slapping a turbo on it.

Now if you want a V8 here is my opinion of good inexpensive way to go about it. Buy a 4cyl to SBC motor conversion motor mount kit from Advance Adapters. Bolt it in as it is very easy to installl. Now find yourself a cheap good running 93 suburban 4x4 pull motor, trans and T case. All this has to be a setup to work on the factory pumpkin side of your TJ.

You could either hook up the TBI or sell it and change out intake and put carb on it. Regarding radiator:
                      I changed mine, but you may not need to swap radiator out as the displacement is not that much different. (I would)

I would use the factory Suburban driveshafts front and rear, shorten them and swap out the outer differential connector ends. (inland truck) would be my recommendation

At this point you have many options, but going cheap you might want to slap a carb on it fire it up, figure out your gauges later. You will need to hook up and change out your shifters and 4wheel low setup, but nothing is 100% easy.

The nice thing is if you do it right you could part out your old Jeep stuff and suburban like wheels axels interior etc and break out even. The trick is the right year, four wheel drive and that setup has to be on the drivers side based on your 98 Tj.

Good luck

Always like the diesel setup though.
                      Last edited by alanc; 07-14-2013, 09:26 AM. Reason: Missed a word probably more.

Comment

Originally posted by alanc View Post
                        If your looking to go the cheap. Never happens as even the liitle the things do add up and then becomes more expensive then just rebuilding your 4cyl and slapping a turbo on it.

Now if you want a V8 here is my opinion of good inexpensive way to go about it. Buy a 4cyl to SBC motor conversion motor mount kit from Advance Adapters. Bolt it in as it is very easy to installl. Now find yourself a cheap good running 93 suburban 4x4 pull motor, trans and T case. All this has to be a setup to work on the factory pumpkin side of your TJ.

You could either hook up the TBI or sell it and change out intake and put carb on it. Regarding radiator:
                        I changed mine, but you may not need to swap radiator out as the displacement is not that much different. (I would)

I would use the factory Suburban driveshafts front and rear, shorten them and swap out the outer differential connector ends. (inland truck) would be my recommendation

At this point you have many options, but going cheap you might want to slap a carb on it fire it up, figure out your gauges later. You will need to hook up and change out your shifters and 4wheel low setup, but nothing is 100% easy.

The nice thing is if you do it right you could part out your old Jeep stuff and suburban like wheels axels interior etc and break out even. The trick is the right year, four wheel drive and that setup has to be on the drivers side based on your 98 Tj.

Good luck

Always like the diesel setup though.
                        If I were to ever get a Wrangler, I think I would have to go with the Chevy V8 also...the truck motors are so reasonable right now too. Alan, there was a new member at the meeting Sunday that has a 4BT swapped in to his 4-door JK..VERY SWEET.

:)

John
                        1997 Cherokee, 3", 32" MT's, and too many lights.. :)

Always Smilin'

Comment

Cheap is a relative term. My opinion is counter to Alan's somewhat. Google "Magnum swap TJ" and you'll find pretty good info on swapping a Dodge 5.2 or 5.9 into your TJ and find it's not all that expensive.

I just completed mine last winter at a net out of pocket around $300. You have to get creative and be frugal, but it can be done. The wiring is pretty easy and all the factory gauges work as if it came from the factory. The best part is there are no adapters to buy and if you place the engine correctly your current driveshafts will fit right up. Te most expensive parts I bought were the headers and the custom tune. Only the headers are required though.

Comment

Originally posted by TommyG View Post
                            Cheap is a relative term. My opinion is counter to Alan's somewhat. Google "Magnum swap TJ" and you'll find pretty good info on swapping a Dodge 5.2 or 5.9 into your TJ and find it's not all that expensive.

I just completed mine last winter at a net out of pocket around $300. You have to get creative and be frugal, but it can be done. The wiring is pretty easy and all the factory gauges work as if it came from the factory. The best part is there are no adapters to buy and if you place the engine correctly your current driveshafts will fit right up. Te most expensive parts I bought were the headers and the custom tune. Only the headers are required though.

This thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...rings-1516649/

Chris spells out the swap very well, Now I just need a TJ with a blown motor...

Comment

I'm the new member mentioned earlier with the Cummins in my JK. It's awesome, but not a cheap swap. It would probably have been cheaper if I did the work myself, but I don't think this is the kind of thing that someone without much automotive experience should attempt. It also ended up costing more than I originally thought since there were incidentals I had failed to account for.

Comment

Working...
                              X