Rear locker style

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear locker style

I'm looking at putting a rear locker in the rear of the jeep. I have a 31 spline 8.8.

Interested in hearing about full lockers and what people think of the Detroit and also the e-lockers.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.885419,-94.804282

I run a LockRight. Uses stock carrier. Aussie is newer and Yukon has the latest lunchbox locker. Yukon also has a full case locker like the Detriot.
    Obviouly, full case lockers are stronger as they have their own case.

If you have a limited slip in your 8.8, I don't think you can put a lunchbox locker in it. They are not designed to fit. However, this was the case 5-6 yrs ago. Not sure of today with the newer ones.
    Mike
    Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

More looking for thoughts on full lockers. Pros, cons ect from one full locker to the other full lockers.

---
      I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.885535,-94.804272

Comment

I don't have any issue with full time lockers, street or not. I drove my TJ on the street with LTBs to/from trails with the locker. Even pulled a camper to Moab with it and back. I got 19k miles out of the LTBs. When I went to radials, I also went to a trailer.
        Mike
        Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

I had a stock Trac Loc limited slip replaced it with a Spartan locker. I loved the stock trac loc hated the Spartan, Have it if someone wants it, anyway running a stock open diff now till I can rebuild the trac loc or install a air locker to go with the one in the front. The tork steer was killer with the locker
          KB0ZNR
          05 LJ, Chevy LSS, 241OR, Mutt long arm, OBA, AEV High Line, Full cage, 35s tube steps and bumpers, 31.5 gal fuel tank

Comment

I have a Detroit and like it. I DD my rig and I haven't noticed significant premature tire wear. I will tell you that it will lock and unlock at times and can wake you up pretty quickly.

You're welcome to drive it, but it's a manual so not sure if you can do it or not.

I picked the Detroit because it's proven. I think if I were to do it again I would stay with the Detroit, but if anyone other than me drove it often I'd probably go OX.

Comment

Tommy are you doubting my driving abilities?! ;-)

How do you think it would differ from a 5-speed to auto?

---
              I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.885483,-94.804252

Comment

I know better than to doubt you. ;-)

I think, but do not know because I don't have first-hand experience, that an auto would be somewhat more predictable and smooth. However, it usually locks/unlocks when making a gradual turn, like merging lanes under moderate power. Full throttle and it stays predictable, but part throttle can sometimes cause it to release at an odd time. It's actually not bad, once you learn to anticipate it.

Comment

My old blue 98 had a full detroit in the rear. I never had an issue with it. It's always "on" so there are no air lines or switches to worry about.
                  Like Tommy said, it will remind you that it is back there every so often. I think the key is your driving style. Once you learn how it drives with it back there, you adapt to it and it's no big deal. Since you trailer yours, I think street driving is a non-factor.
                  Did you notice it when you drove mine way back then?
                  2006 LJ Rubicon

Comment

Originally posted by Eatrocks View Post
                    I had a stock Trac Loc limited slip replaced it with a Spartan locker. I loved the stock trac loc hated the Spartan, Have it if someone wants it, anyway running a stock open diff now till I can rebuild the trac loc or install a air locker to go with the one in the front. The tork steer was killer with the locker
                    Will this locker fit in lsd case or would ya need a open case for it ?
                    My last jeep was locked front and rear and me only transpprtation and i now have a daily driver witk locker up front and lsd back aft. Miss the back locker so am looking to get one again.
                    I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
                    Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
                    it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
                    Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

You need an open case for it
                      KB0ZNR
                      05 LJ, Chevy LSS, 241OR, Mutt long arm, OBA, AEV High Line, Full cage, 35s tube steps and bumpers, 31.5 gal fuel tank

Comment

I have an auto with a detroit. seldom notice it..... BUT you do need to be aware!

If I were redoing it, I would go with a detroit again. unless someone gave me the xtra coin for an ARB.....

Dan

Comment

I wish Yukon built the Grizzly for your 8.8 Travis....that would be my pick. I just put one in a JK unlimited. It was absolutely awesome on the test drive and he's in love with it now!

Comment

I run an aussie front and rear in my yj, d30hp up front, 8.8 out rear. works like a charm. I bought the axles complete from a fellow member so I didn't have a choice in lockers. like most lockers it will lock and unlock when drive on the street and from time to time will go POP. sometimes my passenger will look at me like "is it supposed to do that?". the only time I notice torque stear is when I'm still running trail pressure (11lbs) in the tires on the street but at street pressure it drives nice and straight, you just have to not throttle through the corners too much :).

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPINKC View Post
                              My old blue 98 had a full detroit in the rear. I never had an issue with it. It's always "on" so there are no air lines or switches to worry about.
                              Like Tommy said, it will remind you that it is back there every so often. I think the key is your driving style. Once you learn how it drives with it back there, you adapt to it and it's no big deal. Since you trailer yours, I think street driving is a non-factor.
                              Did you notice it when you drove mine way back then?
                              I never did drive it. Just looked at it.

Kinda sounds like the Detroit is the way to go. Like you said, I trailer it to the trails and just putt around when the weather is nice and top is off. Selectable would be great but I'm not going to fork out the money for ARB and I havnt been getting too many good reviews on e-lockers.

---
                              I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.885461,-94.804209

Comment

Working...
                              X