Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 ZJ 5.2 Won't start

Help!

Have a 1996 Jeep Grand cherokee 5.2 that dies while driving and very hard to restart. Finally reached the point where it won't start at all now, no fuel or spark period. Have checked the following:

Fuel Pump Relay
    Fuel Pump
    ASD Relay
    Have +12v at the coil of fuel relay
    Have +12v at the input for the relay (C16)
    Tested 0 volts at the ground of fuel relay coil
    Tested 0 volts on any of the 3 crank position sensor harness
    Tested 0 volts on any of the 3 cam position sensor harness
    Tested 0 volts at PCM B Pin 31 (5 volt bus)
    Verified there aren't 2 torx 1/2" sheet metal screws through my PCM's main board
    Verified condition of pins on PCM A, B, and C
    Unable to link with Actron OBDII scantool
    Unable to three-key-dance codes
    Get absolutely every indicator lamp except MIL (CHECK ENGINE) at Key-On
    Disconnected both Cam and Crank sensors, still get NO MIL or Link with OBDII Scantool
    Has strong battery
    O2 sensor isn't wrapped around driveshaft
    I am holding my mouth just so..

Fuel pump NEVER primes, never receive a spark. Yet, It ran and drove fine for about 5 minutes... Has yet to run since. My PCM is bad, isn't it? BAD PCM! Time out for you...

Hi. My name is Scott and I'm a jeepaholic. This is my first.. Maybe my last at this rate.. lol

If you do not have a check engine light then yes, you might have a bad PCM. You first need to get a wiring diagram and start checking things. Get a good headlight bulb and test all of the powers and grounds for the PCM. Test the powers by hooking one side of the bulb to ground and testing the powers that go into the PCM. For the grounds do the reverse hook the light bulb to power and test the ground. The headlight will provide a load that a test light or volt meter will not. If all of the powers and grounds are good then yes their is a better chance that the PCM is bad.
    Some people just need to get over themselves.

Comment

when my crank pos sensor went out there were no CELs whatsoever. no spark, cant remember if the fuel pump was priming. dont know if that helps but its all i got

Comment

Oh. My. God.

Just drove it 17 miles around my neighborhood. Discovered the PCM was not getting any power so I started tracing wiring. From the power distribution center the body harness transitions to the engine harness via 2 plugs. They were "together" but not secured. Pushed them together and the truck started right up. Zip ties! Then it died. Had a code for the ignition coil, removed the electrical plug then reinstalled it. Started right up. ZIP TIES!!

Still has some issues. Dash lights flicker with bumps, believe the headlight switch or dimmer switch are bad. Transmission scares me, it starts in first, shifts to second for a very brief time then goes to third.. That really bothers me.. Overall I'm thrilled, *IF* it keeps running....

Comment

ooooh an orvis. i want.. lol. and is that really 276xxx miles i see there?

Comment

When I found this thing I had to have it. Yeah really that many and the engine starts right up and idles like it has 50,000 miles on it. The truck is rough but will be pretty nice once I get it cleaned up. Paint is scratched, no major body damage of any kind, I terior is filthy, drivers seat bottom is worn but not bad, green arm rest insert on drivers door card is worn.. I'm more worried about second gear right now..

Comment

very rare indeed. its crazy how long these motors last if they are well taken care of. there was a xj at briggs jamboree in manhattan with 720,000 miles on the original motor and trans. crazy stuff. is the trans slipping or what?

Comment

Yeah, Believe in '96 they only made 2341 Orvis editions.

Don't think its slipping, it just kinda skips the gear. Full throttle acceleration it takes all the way through first, stays in second for about half a second then goes to third... I don't know ANYTHING about automatic transmissions though. Vowed I'd NEVER own one again a long time ago.. Here's hoping I can keep this one together!

Comment

Unbelievable!

Discovered the transmission kickdown cable was loose from the throttle body. After snapping that back on the transmission shifts like a dream, even under heavy throttle! I freaking LOVE this thing!

:D

Comment

Originally posted by elesjuan View Post
                    Unbelievable!

Discovered the transmission kickdown cable was loose from the throttle body. After snapping that back on the transmission shifts like a dream, even under heavy throttle! I freaking LOVE this thing!

:D
                    Sounds like you have Jeep Feaver

Comment

Originally posted by ksmike View Post
                      Sounds like you have Jeep Feaver
                      You've NO idea! :D

Snagged a new headlight switch from U-Pick-It the other day (So far THE only switch I've found in the wrecker yard with fog lights...) and was in much better shape. I believe that issue to be the dimmer pot, which I've thought about pulling apart for some cleaning.. Also the automatic headlights would go berzerk and flash on/off sometimes so I'm not going to bother.

Replaced my coolant level sensor cause the VIC says its bad. Still says its bad, but only after I drive over a bump. Going to pull the VIC out tonight and touch up those solder joints per the article I found.

Factory infinity speakers surround is missing, rear speakers don't even work. Dash tweeters still sound great, so I ordered up 2 sets of Infinity 6032cf reference 6.5" speakers from Amazon.com to replace my front and rear door speakers with. Now if I could only hack the factory stereo for an aux audio input, or figure out if I can find a cheap premium option WJ head unit and adapt it into my ZJ...... That might just be a case of buy the darn thing and see what happens..

Also have decided recently that I'm really tired of searching Google for something about my jeep just to find PAGES of people asking the same question on Jeep forums with only a reply from some A-hole "If you'd google search it you'd find the answer on the first page!" Really? Cause when I google the same **** question All I'm finding is 30 pages of a-holes telling people to google it. This has prompted me to start collecting all the information I can find on common problems for the ZJ and making my own site. Anyone ever try to find out what DEPTH speakers the front doors can accept? "Just search crutchfield and it'll tell you." Really? Cause when I look on their site all it shows is what speakers will fit, doesn't give a **** bit of information about sizes anymore. Anyone else ever wonder what size / shape / fitment for the dash tweeters? Google it and you'll find a bunch of forum posts with the same question, and the same answers: "Google it" or "Good luck."
                      Last edited by elesjuan; 11-20-2011, 12:58 PM.

Comment

I have a plug'n'play aux. audio input harness. Make me an offer. I can send ya pix. Feel free to call or text. -travis (816) 20sixty-nine106.
                        ...on another note: you seem to have an awful lot of loose electrical connectors. Something smells fishy...are you sure your motor/ tranny is original factory equipment. All these loose connections screams "motor swap" in my mind. Although, it could just be from some previous testing by some errant technician...

Comment

Originally posted by t-rav_12 View Post
                          I have a plug'n'play aux. audio input harness. Make me an offer. I can send ya pix. Feel free to call or text. -travis (816) 20sixty-nine106.
                          ...on another note: you seem to have an awful lot of loose electrical connectors. Something smells fishy...are you sure your motor/ tranny is original factory equipment. All these loose connections screams "motor swap" in my mind. Although, it could just be from some previous testing by some errant technician...
                          The Cam and Crank sensor harnesses weren't attached to the motor as usual when I received the truck, but I believe the previous owner was attempting to find the problem and fix it on their own.. Don't really see any hard evidence the motor or trans has been replaced, but wouldn't really care too much if it had.

btw, interested in that auxinput, sent you a txt...

Comment

Working...
                          X