99 Jeep Wrangler hiccups when accelerating, and tries to die in neutral

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 Jeep Wrangler hiccups when accelerating, and tries to die in neutral

My 99 Wrangler's check engine light and airbag light came on about 2 weeks ago, when i accelerate the jeep jumps and is jerky, .. I have had auto zone and a local shop run the computer tests, and it first came up at autozone as the TPS sensor so i changed that, and it still did it, so i took it to a shop and their test said TPS sensor still and clock spring.. I switched out for another TPS sensor and put in throttle body cleaner, fuel injector cleaner, new spark plugs and new wires, and it has gotten worse. It will sometimes die in neutral and it feels like it wants to when i slow down, and it really jerky now.

I've had heard that it could be a fuel filter, fuel pump, mass air flow sensor. Basically i've heard a million things... Im just trying to see if anyone has any idea, i really appreciate any feedback

Sounds odd, but my '99 does the same thing at times. Try resetting the computer.

Disconnect positive & negative battery cables.
    Hold them together for 90 seconds (this discharges all of the capacitors).
    Reconnect battery cables.
    Get in Jeep, turn key to ON - DO NOT START!
    Turn headlights on.
    Turn headlights off.
    Turn key OFF an remove.

Start Jeep and let it reach operating temp. You can drive it during this time.

What you are doing is resetting the computer to the factory preset air/fuel curves. As you drive the computer will adapt and modify those curves based on O2 sensor data.

May not fix it, but it's free to try. The scanners at Autozone won't reset the computer, only the codes.

Also, make sure your battery is good. Chrysler products can act wonky when the battery gets older.

Comment

The throttle position sensor circuit runs through the clock spring, so that it can power the cruise control. When the clock spring goes bad it will set that code. I have watched several shops chase their tails not knowing this. Replace the clock spring and it should fix the problem. And yes this will cause the jeep to run poorly and try to die.
      Some people just need to get over themselves.

Comment

Working...
      X