No announcement yet.

1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.0HO just stopped running going down the highway yesterday

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.0HO just stopped running going down the highway yesterday

ok... My 1996 Jeep Cherokee is down... I was rolling down the highway, about 2200-2400 RPM, then suddenly the engine cut out... big loss of power... when I got to the side of the road the Jeep was running REALLY rough, and had a really low idle... the engine was kicking back and forth...

I seem to be getting spark... the Jeep acts like it wants to start, but all it will do when I let off the starter it just bucks and kicks for a second or 2

the CPS tested OK... but I know sometimes that can be wrong

I am getting fuel at the rail...

I am getting spark that is blue (I will note that the Blue spark seems like it might be a little weak, but the color is right)

this was a REALLY strong running engine...

there are NO codes and No warning lights on the dash...

Next, I'd check compression on each cylinder. How's the oil level right now? What's the oil look/smell/feel like? Do you hear any unusual scraping/grinding noises while turning the motor over?

Comment

have not had a chance to check compression... but honestly the compression would have to be REALLY low several cylinders to not start

oil looks good

no weird sounds...

Comment

I am getting fuel at the rail... but I kinda doubt I am getting fuel to the combustion chamber... if I was the SPARK plugs should be soaked in fuel... BUT they barley even have a scent of fuel
        Last edited by ericfx1984; 07-18-2011, 07:49 AM.

Comment

ok the only code I could find is code 12 which just means I had disconnected the battery sometime in the last 50 keycycles

THIS might be useful to some of you guys

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoECUcodes.htm

Comment

well I went to the Junk yard and got a CPS off a running Cherokee... the problem remains the same...

however I found a set of aftermarket shackles while I was there... look almost new... rough country from the looks of it... around 6" eye to eye... got the pair for $4.50!!!

Comment

it does not start with starting fluid... so... it is not an issue with fuel...

Comment

Sounz like it's time to start checking those dastardly sensors (cps, tps and so on). I strongly advise you test your existing ones before buying new ones. If you end up replacing any, be sure to test the new ones before you install them.

Comment

I know you dt you're getting fuel, but do you have enough pressure. Just bc you're getting fuel, doesn't mean you're getting enough

Comment

What audioguy said....Autozone should have a fuel pressure gauge. Your fuel rail should have a shrader-style valve on it. Hook the pressure gauge up and see what you're getting, I'd guess around 50 is normal, but you should look it up. I have a pressure gauge that can supposedly be used to test fuel pressure, I've only ever tested compression with it, but you're welcome to borrow it and see if it works.
                    "People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them." -Dave Barry

Comment

I remember my son had an old POS Saab, fuel injected, and we had to clean the idle air control on the throttle body when it started acting up. Might check that too... if your Jeep has such a beast. If it does, cleaning it will cost you 15 minutes of time and some throttle body cleaner.
                      "People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them." -Dave Barry

Comment

I have a fuel pressure gauge if you want to borrow it. Like was said before, it should have around 50psi. Fuel pumps usually don't go out while running. Most of the time they'll work fine when you shut it off, and then won't start back up.

How many miles are on the motor? I hate to bring it up but from the symptoms you described, possible timing chain skipped? If it's under 200k miles, I doubt it though.

Might be a TPS, crank or cam sensor, but any of those should have tripped a code.

Comment

Originally posted by Rescue Diver View Post
                          How many miles are on the motor? I hate to bring it up but from the symptoms you described, possible timing chain skipped? If it's under 200k miles, I doubt it though.

Might be a TPS, crank or cam sensor, but any of those should have tripped a code.

I was thinking the same thing... at least it is a cheap and simple fix if it is that...

250k... lol

Comment

anyone have a compression tester and a fuel pressure tester I can barrow? maybe a noid light

Comment

well I have confirmed that the distro is in the correct position when cylinder 1 is on TDC... so where to now?

Comment

Working...
                              X