Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driveline Vibe Help

Hello All!

I'm stuck with some vibes on my XJ. They kick in around 45-50 mph and are worse under acceleration. I've got about 4" of rear lift and 3" of front lift. One leaf pack has sagged a bit more than the other, about 1/2". I just finished replacing the T-case with a new one to fix the slop I had in the old one. The rear shaft is new as well to match up with the new SYE so it's not u-joints or a stretched chain, etc. I had the vibes with the old TC and SYE as well. As best I can tell the pinion is pointed at the rear output of the TC, or maybe 2 degrees below. That's the best I could do with the stuff I have to measure it.

My rear axle is a D44 out of an 87 XJ that had a rough life before I got it. It's got new shafts, bearings, and spider gears. All that hasn't been changed is the carrier, ring, and pinion. It looks centered under the jeep although the last time I had it aligned they said it wasn't perfectly straight. It's not out by much though, just on the edge of allowable spec.

Vibes seem the same with and without the front shaft in the jeep.

So my questions are: Would uneven lift or small pinion/axle misalignments be causing the vibes? Also, is there any place closer than 4x4land where I can take the jeep? I'm in the northland and if I can't figure this out soon I'm going to have to give up and pay someone. I'm willing to take it to Topeka, it's just not very convenient from Liberty, and would rather not drive past a good trouble shooting shop on my way.

I'm sorry for the novel length post. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated, I really don't know how to proceed at this point.

Brett

Did you ever figure out your vibes? I'm having the exact same problem and have replaced everything except looking into rear differential

Comment

Working...
    X