4x4 Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4x4 Help

Foundout the hard way my 4x4 is not working, anyone had this problem? what could it be?

Could be a lot of things. What kind of vehicle do you have? What makes you think it's not working? What's it do when you shift into 4H or 4L?

Comment

i dont feel a change in 4H or 4L, got my self stuck in a rut in a field by my house on purpose, front wheels wernt spinning.

1991 Jeep Wrangler YJ.

Went Jeeping yesterday and couldn't get up a hill my 2 buddies just flew up.

Comment

Let me guess..... you own a YJ?
        sigpic
        Reed Brunk, You can have joy like mine too! It's a Jeep thing again!
        99TJ: 4:88s, 8.8 with OX Locker, 36 TSLs, Homemade mid-arm rear 4 link and front 3 link suspension, Over the knuckle Chevy Tie-rod end steering, AW4 auto tranny swap, and lots of dents and dings!

Comment

Yeah. posted before, idk why it didnt work. '91 YJ. Whats the problem doc?

Comment

Originally posted by TechSupport View Post
            Yeah. posted before, idk why it didnt work. '91 YJ. Whats the problem doc?
            The most likely culprit is the vacuum line going to the disconnect in the front axle housing has come off or not working correctly.
            sigpic
            Reed Brunk, You can have joy like mine too! It's a Jeep thing again!
            99TJ: 4:88s, 8.8 with OX Locker, 36 TSLs, Homemade mid-arm rear 4 link and front 3 link suspension, Over the knuckle Chevy Tie-rod end steering, AW4 auto tranny swap, and lots of dents and dings!

Comment

Or, the diaphram that actually pushes the disconnect collar into place has failed.

First thing is to pull the vacuum hose off the disconnect housing of the front axle. It's on the passenger side, on the backside of the tube. There will be a round diaphram and two vacuum lines connected to it. With the engine running (in park, e-brake set, wheels blocked, etc.) and the transfer case engaged in 4wd, you should be able to feel the vaccum pulling on one of the hoses if you take them off and put your finger over it. If you can't feel anything, it's probably the hose as Reed said. If you do feel the vacuum, then the diaphram is bad.

The simple way to fix is to just buy new stuff and replace the old. However, it's not necessarily cheap, and they are prone to failure anyway. The most expensive is to install a cable actuated disconnect. Do a Google search on Posi-Lok (or something like that) and Jeep YJ, you will learn more than you ever wanted to know. If you're mechanically inclined, you can build your own cable actuator. There are literally dozens of ways to remedy the issue, all varying from free to expensive. The solution that works for you will depend on how willing you are to have it affect your on-road drivability.

Comment

Working...
              X