2.5 questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.5 questions

ok...I have google myself blind and can't find a strait answer......

what auto tranny will bolt up to a 2.5 in a tj?

will the 42re work?.....trying to answer questions for a buddy of mine and my mind isnt working....he wants an auto and doesnt want to sell his jeep (98 4cly manual) and he has a 98 grand with the 4.0, 242, and 42re......I told him to swap it all over and ditch the 2.5. But for some reason he wants to stay with the 4cly....so whats the options?
    "I've only been a Jeep owner a few years, but I'm finding that a Jeep is a lot like a woman. They clean up nice, but they're more fun when they're dirty..."
    Easy livin'--10 jku rubi ;),2012 cummins mega, 95 ZJ

30RH until 2002, then 42RLE afterward. Neither will be a bolt-in swap though. He'll need the computer for an auto rig, or have to flash his for an auto. I believe the transfer case input shaft is a 23 spline behind all autos, regardless of engine, whereas his is a 21 spline. The transmission is most likely longer than his AX5, so his driveshafts won't be the correct length. Not to mention he'll need all the shift linkage and interior console pieces and parts.

Sounds like not a very good swap in my opinion. I'd recommend selling the rig and buying one with an auto if that's what he wants.

Comment

That always seems to be the consensus when I read about someone wanting to swap transmissions... easier to sell the rig and buy one with the transmission you want, than to try and swap, unless you're already swapping the entire drive train (e.g. V8 swap).

I'm perfectly happy with my stick. :)

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
        I'm perfectly happy with my stick. :)
        That's what she said!!!!

Comment

i agree....but some people have to do it the hard way!
          "I've only been a Jeep owner a few years, but I'm finding that a Jeep is a lot like a woman. They clean up nice, but they're more fun when they're dirty..."
          Easy livin'--10 jku rubi ;),2012 cummins mega, 95 ZJ

Comment

I am with everyone else on this... might as well sell and buy one already setup...

Comment

Working...
            X