Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rubber bushings at one end / Johnny Joint on the other???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rubber bushings at one end / Johnny Joint on the other???

I'm getting ready to order new joints for control arms. I've read that some people have gone with rubber bushings on the frame side and Johnny's at the other. Has anyone on here heard of / tried this?

Any recommendations?

Oh, and I'm running Skyjacker long arm setup.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Bud B; 04-02-2011, 05:38 PM.

guys do it all the time

Comment

Cool, do any of you guys have this setup on your TJ with long arms?

Comment

Originally posted by Bud B View Post
        Cool, do any of you guys have this setup on your TJ with long arms?
        I am planning heims at one end and a poly joint at the other on my XJ... you will be fine... it will work great...

since you are planning to run a rubber joint on one end you might think about doing the same thing... VERY cheap and SUPER strong

Comment

Bud, something to consider (if you have, or are going to get lockers): rubber bushings do not hold up well against the forces and stresses that a locked axle puts on them. Although they (rubber bushings) offer a noticeably more comfy ride, you will be replacing them more frequently than you would a stiffer (rougher riding) polyurethane bushing.

Comment

...and you'll replace poly bushings more frequently than johnny joints. Rubber bushings will give you a better street ride, so if it's a daily driver you might want to go that route. Mine is 99% trail rig so I'm using JJ's on both ends because I was replacing torn rubber bushings fairly often. The solid rubber ones don't seem to last as long as the clevite ones (they've got the steel shank in the middle bonded to the rubber as one piece, like the rubber bushing on the front UCA from the factory. Those seem to hold up better than some of the aftermarket solid rubbers components.

If you buy RE rubber bushings, make sure you get the NEW ones. They've got 4 small dots (mold marks) on one side. The older ones were a harder compound and didn't flex as easily, so tore within 1-2 wheeling trips when you flex the suspension.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the info guys! I currently have all heims (worn out) all the way around. I think I'll take your advice and run poly/jj. I had already pretty much decided on the Currie JJ so now I have to find the right poly bushings. Hopefully I can find and order them today so I can get them ordered! TJs parked in the drive till I get them replaced : (

Thanks!

Comment

ya know ya could avoid all this poly/rubber stuff !

just get a REAL JEEP with leaf springs and be Happy ! ....LOL :-)
                I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
                Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
                it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
                Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

LOL! Very true! After all of the work I'm having to do to finally get this thing ready to play, I'm wondering why I sold the YJ?! : )

It will be worth it, just gotta get it finished.

Comment

I'll keep looking online, but how do you install the poly bushings on aftermarket arms? Is there a portion that threads in or will they press into the outer housing of the heim if I remove the guts? This is obviously my first time jacking with these : )

Thanks!
                    Last edited by Bud B; 04-03-2011, 12:24 PM.

Comment

you will need to do a little cutting and welding...

Comment

Thanks for the info, I don't have a welding setup and this is my DD so I'll probably just have to go with Currie JJ's all around.

Thanks!
                        Bud

Comment

I have OEM rubber at the frame and JJ at the axle on my mid arms for 3 or 4 years now no problems. Flex is not an issue. Ride is very smooth compaired to the short arms.
                          Poly bushings are ok. I ran them on some short arms for a year or two and they were ready to be changed out.

JJ at both end is the best way to go IMO. Be sure and use a RH and a LH thread joint on each arm.
                          Currie was the cheapest site I found for the joints not sure if they are the fastest to ship though.
                          The threaded inserts are sold by everybody.

Good luck.

I do have some 2" and 1 3/4" 1026 DOM 1/4" wall id sell ya.

Comment

Working...
                          X