Gear Paint?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear Paint?

Anyone have any gear paint I can use for the afternoon? I tried Napa, O'reilly, and Clark Tool in KC - nobody in town seems to stock this for some reason. I was hoping to get the rear end buttoned up TODAY, but if I have to mail order this, that ain't gonna happen.

Thanks!
    Rich

I have some but will not have access to it until Monday. You can use a heave grease like wheel bearing grease. If you pack it into the ring gear good and thick you should be able to see a pattern there. It is not the correct way and probably not recommended by many but it will work in a pinch.
    Some people just need to get over themselves.

Comment

gear paint ? what is that ?

or are ya talking about marking compound ?

and Rich think about it......how many guys are doing differentials and going to O' Rielies for supply's ?
      I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
      Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
      it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
      Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Call around and ask for the Permatex Prussian Blue. Mean while I'll go dig in the shop and see what I have.

Comment

Darrin is the prussian blue just an oil paint that you can pick up from an art supply place, or is it an auto parts store thing?

I got a little container of the marking paint (whatever you call it) from David Killion yesterday and we got everything buttoned up yesterday afternoon. Thanks for the alternative suggestions guys! I didn't realize this stuff was so difficult to come by; apparently it's only sold as part of the bearing kits? Strange....

Comment

No it's sold at parts stores. Napa is probably the best bet, but I think I have found it at O'Reillys too.

Comment

while we used to use prussian blue for sheetmetal work (ya spread it liberaly along where ya need to mark it with scribe)

I never even thot of using it for ring and pinion set-up !

I always saw them use a white or yellow marking compound, but its good to know of an alternative ! ;-)
              Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

Originally posted by spunebil View Post
                while we used to use prussian blue for sheetmetal work (ya spread it liberaly along where ya need to mark it with scribe)
                Are you thinking of Dykem?

"Machine shop operators depend on Dykem® Steel Blue Layout Fluids to scribe sharp, clear, precise lines"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Prussian Blue is a thick paste like the yellow stuff that comes with the gears.

"Aids precision-fitting of machined surfaces. Locates high spots on bearings, valves, gears and other close-to-tolerance components. Nondrying. Easy clean-up.

Suggested Applications: Bearings, valves, gears, other close tolerance or machined assemblies"

Comment

I could be wrong.........this is sunday ....right ?
                  Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

Working...
                  X