Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My wife thinks this would be easy and doable...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My wife thinks this would be easy and doable...

Given all the snow recently, my wife is wondering why I just don't go our and buy a plow and just attach it to the front of the TJ so I can plow our street, our driveway, etc. Aside from the cost, which I think would be significant, how "easy" would this really be? Thanks.

Snow-way makes little plow blades, not really intended for commercial use. If ya really wanna push snow, I'd recommend getting a light-weight assy. so your front suspension doesn't take any more abuse than necessary. Keep in mind, plowin' is hard on your suspension and drive train. Somethin' else to think about, even though the blade's easily removable, the mntg. bracketry will hang down low and act as a boat anchor in the trails, so you'll have to remove all mntg. hardware when ya wheel. If all the neighbors pitch in every year on your maintenance and servicing costs, it could be worth your while though.

Comment

I had a feeling there was way more involved in this than just hooking it on. Has anyone done this?

Comment

I have a Meyers Plow on my TJ. I bought it for the sole purpose of using it to supplement my income in the winter as I am in the construction field and the winters can be kind of slow work wise because of the weather. Brand new it costs around $4500, I got lucky and found a used one on Craigs list for $1600 and it payed for itself the first winter I had it. This winter it has made me around 9 grand and that isn't including these last 2 snows because my pump went down and I am still waiting for it to get fixed. Of course I use mine commercially and that is the reason it has made me that much and of course most of that is being used to replace my lost wages for not getting many hours at work because of the snow.

As far as it being hard on your vehicle... Travis is correct about that but I do not believe it is any harder on it than taking it off-road and abusing it the way most of us do. If you are just going to use it on your drive then the abuse is going to be negligible as opposed to using it commercially like I do. Most plow trucks that get torn up is because of the driver not because of the plow. If it is driven like it is a piece of equipment and not like it is a regular vehicle then you will have less breakage.

If all you are going to do is your driveway and maybe a couple others than I think it would be better to just buy a walk behind Snow Blower like this, Snow blower rather than a plow. it will work just as good at only a quarter of the price.
        sigpic
        Reed Brunk, You can have joy like mine too! It's a Jeep thing again!
        99TJ: 4:88s, 8.8 with OX Locker, 36 TSLs, Homemade mid-arm rear 4 link and front 3 link suspension, Over the knuckle Chevy Tie-rod end steering, AW4 auto tranny swap, and lots of dents and dings!

Comment

What about getting yourself a 4x4 ATV and using a plow off that? Its small enough to do commercial sidewalks, seen in working in my neighborhood (neighbors) driveways, probably not big enough for street work with a lot of snow, but maybe a viable option for you.
          Mike
          Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

Around the 19th of March the weather may do something funny. 3/19/2011 Extreme Lunar Perigee. Only happens every 1.5 years. Just more 2012 stuff

Comment

so what funny thing did I miss in mid oct of 2009 during the last extreme lunar perigee ?

at least I think that is 1 1/2 years before march 19, 2011 ! ;-)
              I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
              Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
              it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
              Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Look at a product called homeplow.com by meyers. Easy,light, simple and relatively inexpensive. We sell both the automatic and the hydraulic versions. Only require a 2" receiver hitch. Feel free to contact us for pricing if your interested. Mike 4x4land
                4x4LAND.com
                Mike
                Knowledge is priceless

Comment

Originally posted by 4x4 LAND View Post
                  Look at a product called homeplow.com by meyers. Easy,light, simple and relatively inexpensive. We sell both the automatic and the hydraulic versions. Only require a 2" receiver hitch. Feel free to contact us for pricing if your interested. Mike 4x4land
                  Sorry Mike, I did not realize Meyers made these or that you are a dealer, otherwise I would have told them to go see you. Do you sell the commercial plows as well?
                  sigpic
                  Reed Brunk, You can have joy like mine too! It's a Jeep thing again!
                  99TJ: 4:88s, 8.8 with OX Locker, 36 TSLs, Homemade mid-arm rear 4 link and front 3 link suspension, Over the knuckle Chevy Tie-rod end steering, AW4 auto tranny swap, and lots of dents and dings!

Comment

Working...
                  X