Seat Bolts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seat Bolts

You know the good ol' stupid thought, "Hey, this will take just a few minutes..."

Well, Monday night, I started installing seat covers on my '97 ZJ. Instead of doing the contortionist bit, i decided to pull the seats to put the covers on. Passenger seat was no problem, but when my 13 year old son tried to remove one of the back bolts on the driver seat, he took the head off the bolt. My 17 year old then said, "Let me do the other one" which was immediately followed by "Ooops" when the head snapped off the other bolt. They're learning....

Vise grips, PB Blaster, etc. - nothing worked. Ended up smacking the bolts with my BFH and knocking the nuts off the underside of the body. To get it temporarily moving, I used some hardened bolts. However, it's definitely not the best fix, so I'm going to fix it right on Saturday.

After that longwinded intro, here's the question: Should I simply use hardened steel bolts, washers, nuts and Locktite, or should I have someone tack-weld the nuts back to the underside of the Jeep?
    --
    It's not a bad road filled with potholes and broken pavement, it's just Jeep-friendly.

When I swapped to ZJ seats in my XJ, I broke off one bolt on each seat. I used a grade 8 bolt/washer/nut to replace it. I could not find what grade the OEM bolt was, but felt safe just replacing one.

John
    1997 Cherokee, 3", 32" MT's, and too many lights.. :)

Always Smilin'

Comment

I would use either a flat washer with nylon lock nut or a flat washer with lock washer and reg. nut :-)
      I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
      Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
      it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
      Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Working...
      X