Electrical Troubleshooting Resources?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical Troubleshooting Resources?

Hi all, Several people have said that my TJ issue sounds like an electrical issue. Are there any write-ups with tips or methods on how to start the process of troubleshooting electrical/ground issues? There are so many wires, it seems like there should be some quality steps to take besides just unwrapping every harness and looking at every wire?

One guy recommended a test that you make sure all lights and accessories are turned off with the neg cable unplugged. Then when you touch the neg cable to the terminal, if it sparks it confirms that you have a ground issue?? I don't know, I'm horrible with electrical issues, but I guess now will be the time to become more familiar! There are so many wires on this thing it's a little overwhelming : )

Any suggestions/ideas are always appreciated!
    Bud

What is the problem and then maybe we can help you, there are all kinds of tests, it just depends on what the problem is that you are having.
    Some people just need to get over themselves.

Comment

I've got a couple of posts under general tech help, basically dies frequently but not too consistent. I've posted the details so I don't want to bore everyone again, when I'm going down the road, it starts jerking and everything just cuts in and out, rpm drop then bounce up and down then it dies. When it starts to die, I can throw it into neutral and it will straighten back out and run normal. Also, when it's in park it starts and revs great. I've replaced a lot of junk, no codes. A lot of people have said they think it's a wiring and or ground issue.

Thanks!
      Bud

Comment

With that kind of issue the only way is to try and tug on the wiring harness with the jeep running and see if it acts up. If you can get it to happen that way it will help a lot, otherwise you would have to pull the wiring loom off and start looking at wires but that is truly a last thing to do. Sometimes it does not hurt to pay someone that has experience with these types of problems. It may save you money in the long run.

No the battery terminal thing will not tell you if you have a ground problem by the way. That tells you if there is something on or turns on when the battery is reconnected and your computer memory will make it spark just by the amps that it pulls, which is very minute.

Good luck
        Some people just need to get over themselves.

Comment

Thanks for the advice! I'll hopefully find some time to start working on it tomorrow!

Comment

Working...
          X