Who has a Spring Compressor?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has a Spring Compressor?

The title basically sums it up... who has a spring compressor that would be willing to help me with assembling my front suspension for my lift? I would just try to do it myself, but from what I have read I would probably screw something/someone (me) up. I would prefer if one of you could do it for free. :) I was kinda hoping and planning on lifting the Liberty ("The Liberator"), this next weekend, the 15th, but I guess beggars can't be choosy. I just know that I will have to reuse some of the parts that are on there now on the new suspension, and since it is my DD, I can't really afford the down time. I would like to just do it all in one day. Ok, I am ranting now...

So if anyone can/would like to help let me that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

when i did me XJ front springs, a normal spring compressor wouldnt work and I needed to rent a mcpherson strut compressor from O'Reilly's.

XJ's have a large bumpstop inside of spring at top, I have never even looked at a liberty (except when passing on road) so you will have to go out and see what you have. ;-)
    I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
    Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
    it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
    Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Yeah, Liberty's have bumpstops as well, but they are outside of the spring, rather than inside.

Comment

then you could buy a spring compressor from O'Reilly's for like 10 or 15 bucks (or something like that ) I think renting is less, but if you buy one you will always have it if you need it again ! ;-)
        Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

If you do this yourself, be EXTREMELY careful. Those springs store a LOT of energy, and if something slips you can lose a finger, arm, or even your life.

Comment

i can attest to rich's statement that getting hit by a flying spring that has decompressed itself is not fun at all. be very careful bud

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
              If you do this yourself, be EXTREMELY careful. Those springs store a LOT of energy, and if something slips you can lose a finger, arm, or even your life.
              yea says the booboo on my finger from yours lol.

Comment

Yeah, that is what everyone has told me on other forums. That I should just have someone else do it for me, plus I don't really want to die just so I could lift my Jeep. Haha.

Comment

I've personally never used a spring compressor when removing/adding the 4.5" springs on my XJ. I just jacked the body way up in the air and then disconnected the upper and lower control arms for that side of the axle. Slides out uncompressed all on it's own :)

Comment

One thing I like to do is run some chain around your spring once you have it compressed. I wrap the chain around and bolt it snug so when removing from vehicle or trying to get it back in the vehicle. If the compressor does happen to fail, the energy is partially contained by the chain and not your head.

Comment

The springs on a Liberty are very stiff. You CANNOT use a cheapy compressor from the local parts store. Remove the struts and take em to a shop with a strut compressor. It'll be worth it in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by spunebil View Post
                        when i did me XJ front springs, a normal spring compressor wouldnt work and I needed to rent a mcpherson strut compressor from O'Reilly's.

XJ's have a large bumpstop inside of spring at top, I have never even looked at a liberty (except when passing on road) so you will have to go out and see what you have. ;-)
                        no... I did not have that problem a few days ago... I just used some cheapo harbor frieght spring compressors

Comment

Originally posted by ericfx1984 View Post
                          no... I did not have that problem a few days ago... I just used some cheapo harbor frieght spring compressors
                          really ?

how did you get them to work inside the spring ?

cause a spring compressor fits inside spring while a mcPhearson strut compressor works on the outside of spring !

PICS ! we need PICS !
                          Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

Originally posted by spunebil View Post
                            really ?

how did you get them to work inside the spring ?

cause a spring compressor fits inside spring while a mcPhearson strut compressor works on the outside of spring !

PICS ! we need PICS !
                            sorry I DID used a mcpherson... lol come to think of it I have never used a regular compressor... maybe thats why I didn't see the difference between the two

Comment

I've always used these...http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...Type=G2...They work great, with retainer pins so the spring can't pop out. You pretty much need a 1/2" impact to run the bolts down to compress the spring though. Its a real pain to run them by hand and furthers the possibility for problems IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                              X