P2098 & p0517

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P2098 & p0517

On my last wheeling trip, my CEL came on and I threw P2098 (lean fuel mix) and P0517 (hot battery) codes (according to the 3x ignition switch trick).

The engine wasn't having any trouble running, and continues to run fine today; it was very cold out that day and I am guessing the P2098 was maybe an exhaust leak (cracked manifold).

No idea what tripped the P0517 other than that it had been running all day.

What's the easiest way to reset these to see if they come back or if they were a 1-time deal? I'd run it over to AutoZone or someplace with an OBD-II reader and do it, but it's a trailer queen, and that's kind of a pain. :)

If I reset them and they come back, is it safe to keep wheeling for awhile before fixing the exhaust or determining the cause of that P2098, assuming the engine is running okay? I've got a couple wheeling trips planned in January & February, but not much time to work on the motor....

Anyone around Lenexa/OP have a code reader I could borrow and return, to reset them? Or will disconnecting the battery for a few minutes do the trick?

Simple. Pull the cables off the battery. Wait few seconds, and touch then together for some 20-30 secs. This releases the charge in the memory banks or something and removes the CEL and memory codes. Reattach cables to battery and start up. Will be good till you show a code once again.

If you are having a hot battery code, what is the sensor for that? Is it located under the battery. Could the alternator be putting out too much voltage? That would blow the battery and guess make it hot before it blows.
    Mike
    Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

For your P2098 code it could be either the exhaust manifold, the oxygen sensors or there is a PCM reflash available for the code. If you decide to replace the exhaust manifold then I would also do the oxygen sensors. If you need to get it cleared and happen to be in the area with it I can hook my scanner up to it for you.
      Some people just need to get over themselves.

Comment

I'll probably just disconnect the battery to clear it. Kind of a pain to load up the trailer to take it to a shop for something simple like that. ;)

Comment

I need to check to see if they've done the PCM Reflash (TSB-18-028-06). While doing some other reading on Jeep Forum, I found someone who said this back in '08:

One other thing. There is a TSB, that refers to slow opening/closing of the exhaust valves. If the engine isn't run past 3,000 rpm on a regular basis, it can cause carbon buildup on the valves, and make them stick. The fix is to rotate the valves in the head.
          Ray, have you heard of that TSB? I know the day I threw this code, Dave jokingly asked if my Rig ever ran above 1,000 RPM, because I spend a lot of time idling and letting the thing crawl the rocks. Maybe my light skinny pedal is coming back to haunt me! :)

Comment

I've got a scanner and can bring it to the meeting sunday and let you clear them if you want.
            Wes

Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Comment

My jeep's a trailer queen with a bad TRE, so it won't be at the meeting... I'm going to check the hood stickers to see if the PCM flash TCB has been done and if not, probably take it to the dealer to have them flash it. I need to burn out the old gas in the tank and get some fresh stuff and probably fix a manifold leak anyway, but figured the flash can't hurt.

Comment

dont know if you still need one but i have a code reader at my house

Comment

Working...
                X