No announcement yet.

will grand cherokee axles fit in a tj?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will grand cherokee axles fit in a tj?

I know they will but will axles from a 93 grand fit in the tj? I mean will the direct bolt in do the gc have coils althe way around?

The front will but the rear will not. The angles are different on the rear for the control arms along with the height.
    Some people just need to get over themselves.

Comment

the front (d-30) will also most likely have cv shafts (weaker) rather than standard u-jointed shafts (stronger).

Comment

will they fit in a TJ ?

depends, do you still have rear seat ?

J/K

but a 93 ZJ should have a dana LP 30 front axle and either 260 or 297 (ABS) front U-Joints. ;-)
        I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
        Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
        it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
        Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Trav is right, I just had a ZJ in my junkyard a couple weeks ago and was going to pull the axle shafts for spares, and the are cv shafts. Why do want to put those in a TJ anyway? A Dana 35 is worthless so why swap one in, and if it's the Dana 44, it has an aluminum housing and is considerably weaker than the TJ D44

Comment

Stock cvs in axles are not weak compared to a u-joint. They are designed to work with a stock vehicle weight, driveline, suspension and tire size. They actually make the handling better as the rotation angles on the contact points within the cv balls where they contact the shell make it smoother during the turning and rotating of the shafts. The ujoint only has 2 at a time contacts and that makes them vibrate. You really can't see or feel it but mechanically, cvs are better.

Now, RCV has some cv shafts that are designed for the replacement of the stock ujoint shafts in the TJ and other Jeep models. They are designed not to break and guaranteed for life. Yes, they are expensive, figure 3.5 times the cost of new complete shafts and joints. However, I've probably spent about that much in shafts already over the 6 yrs of owning and wheeling my TJ. I still have 3 complete set of shafts and may look into selling them to help procure the RCVs.
            Mike
            Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

ok so here was my thought, there is a set of axles on cl for a gc already has ujoints in the front and has been geared to 456's. my thoughwas put the front axle in and ake the gears out of the gc axle and put it in my 35. he only wants 350 for both. i dont plan on doing any crzy stuff in the jeep. do yall think it would be worth it?

Comment

Since the axles have been regeared, pull the covers and look at the 'wear' pattern on both. For the front, a regeared and new joints would make that $350 a lot easier. For the rear, make sure its a 'c-clipped' D35 and that its gear wear is acceptable. Find out who did the regear work, how many miles, why he's selling, etc. just to CYA. Before you remove the gears out of the ZJ rear axle to use in your rear axle, apply gear indicator goop so that the next installer can come close to the setup. Or bring the empty ZJ axle to your setup-er and have him prepare it for transfer.
                Installers prefer an out-of-vehicle axle to setup. It makes it a lot lot lot easier.
                Mike
                Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

so does it sound like a pretty good deal. I will eventually put 44s front and rear but im thinking this is a quick cheap fix and is better than 307's

Comment

Working...
                  X