spools??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spools??

What are mini spools? Full spools? What are the pros and cons? I have also heard of welding the rear....what excactly is that?
    "I've only been a Jeep owner a few years, but I'm finding that a Jeep is a lot like a woman. They clean up nice, but they're more fun when they're dirty..."
    Easy livin'--10 jku rubi ;),2012 cummins mega, 95 ZJ

My Jeep has full spools front and rear. The front has disconnects so its not that bad but the rear is fully locked. The spool locks both tires together all the time. So when I go around a corner the tires chirp and the jeep bounces/skips, very hard on tires.
    The mini spool fits inside a stock diff housing but does the same thing as a full spool.

Comment

Full spool is the replacement of the carrier. Ring gear bolts on and axles slide into the spool. No differentation. Gear setup is required as you move the ring gear.
      Minispool is the replacement of the spider/side gears. You just replace the innards, no setup is required.
      Lincoln/Miller welding is welding the side gears and spider gears into a chunk making them a mini-spool type of thing.

Strength and weight are the biggest things to consider if going spool.

Mini-spool install write-up with info on spool and welding setups.
      Mike
      Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

well now i have a 8.25 rear.....would welding it be ok till i get my 8.8 built? If so.....who round here does that? I dont know how to weld. so is a mini kinda like a lunch box?
        "I've only been a Jeep owner a few years, but I'm finding that a Jeep is a lot like a woman. They clean up nice, but they're more fun when they're dirty..."

Comment

I suggest you save your money. Any $$ spent won't be a return on it. Save your money, get the 8.8 installed with matching gears and a locker. 8.8 requires little welding work as well.
          Mike
          Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

Yeah I wouldn't weld it if you're just going to take it out anyway. Just creating yourself more work. and if you're still gonna drive it a lot on the street, i wouldn't spool, mini spool, or weld it. You'll be going through tires faster than you go through Jeeps. Just sayin.

Comment

spool or weld it if off road ONLY ! if ya plan to drive on street then leave it alone or put in a pocket locker !

this is for rear axle as i would lock but not spool/weld a front axle (unless ya just go straight like a mud bogger ! ! LOL
              I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
              Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
              it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
              Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

yeah...i dont drive xj on road anymore......truck is fixed finally.....maybe your right. just wait till 8.8 is done. i dunno???

Comment

Out of curiosity... have you found a spool for your 8.75 or are you just making a general inquiry?

Comment

that's a good point Darrin, I have never seen one and even lockers for the 8.25 seem stupid expensive in comparison.
                    Tommy, I didn't know you got the truck fixed........................sweet deal dood

Comment

Something else to think about with a spool/ or nonselectable locker in the rear is that it will cause the vehicle to make wider turns, because the rear end wants to push the vehicle straight.

Getting around in the tight stuff may require backing up more. I have wheeled with people that had selectable lockers in the rear on 110+" wheel base and could turn tighter than my 91sh" wheel based CJ with a Detroit in the rear.

Lots of people wheel with nonselectable lockers in the rear, but getting around in the tight stuff will be easier with a rear selectable locker. Its something to think about.

Wally

Comment

I totally agree, there was a night and day difference in my turning radius once I stuffed an axle with a Detroit locker in my XJ. Turns like a big truck and makes it much more difficult in tight spots.

Comment

Originally posted by heap o' jeep View Post
                          I totally agree, there was a night and day difference in my turning radius once I stuffed an axle with a Detroit locker in my XJ. Turns like a big truck and makes it much more difficult in tight spots.
                          Originally posted by WallyP226 View Post
                          Something else to think about with a spool/ or nonselectable locker in the rear is that it will cause the vehicle to make wider turns, because the rear end wants to push the vehicle straight.

Getting around in the tight stuff may require backing up more. I have wheeled with people that had selectable lockers in the rear on 110+" wheel base and could turn tighter than my 91sh" wheel based CJ with a Detroit in the rear.

Lots of people wheel with nonselectable lockers in the rear, but getting around in the tight stuff will be easier with a rear selectable locker. Its something to think about.

Wally
                          This is why a lot of people put in the front diggs upgrade in their rigs. It is extremely helpful in tight turns.
                          sigpic
                          Reed Brunk, You can have joy like mine too! It's a Jeep thing again!
                          99TJ: 4:88s, 8.8 with OX Locker, 36 TSLs, Homemade mid-arm rear 4 link and front 3 link suspension, Over the knuckle Chevy Tie-rod end steering, AW4 auto tranny swap, and lots of dents and dings!

Comment

I am planing twin sticks when I have the transfer case apart for rebuild and 4:1. I figure it's all out, might as well do it at the same time. Plus when one busts so something in in either axle hopefully one can either limp off the trail or atleast get to a flat spot. LOL I could have used twin sticks on Moab Rim trail last June.

Wally

Originally posted by Grumpy Dwarf View Post
                            This is why a lot of people put in the front diggs upgrade in their rigs. It is extremely helpful in tight turns.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Dwarf View Post
                              turn radius on the trail has alot to do with the driver

as I was locked front and rear in an XJ and could turn tighter than many TJ's with open diffs !

the TJ's could of made the turn's i am sure, but the drivers just thought they were a few feet wider and longer than they actually were ! ;-)

but that was with lockers (which unlock in turns) spools never unlock (unless ya break it in half) LOL
                              I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
                              Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
                              it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
                              Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Working...
                              X