SWR's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWR's

Hey, dudes. Just installed a Cobra 19DX IV with an 18' Firestick Firering coax, 3" hd stainless spring, and 3' Firestick II w/ tuneable tip. I hooked up the SWR meter to it this afternoon once I had it in and the best I could get was channel 1 SWR 1.7; ch 40 SWR 1.7; ch20 SWR 1.4-1.5ish. These standing wave ratios seem high when all my research said I'm looking for values under 1.5. Is this gonna be a problem or will I be just fine? Any suggestions?
    -Mike B-
    '01 XJ Sport
    '11KK Limited

I'm not an expert, but the way I understand it, is that you want to get as close to a 1 as possible and anything less than 2 is acceptable. Anything over 3 is bad and could damage the radio.
    Bill T.

Comment

^^^Thanks. That's what I've been reading as well since my post. I found alot of info saying that the goal is to get as close to 1 but real world application anything between 2 and 1.5 isn't uncommon. I'll keep researching as there is a ton of conflicting stuff out there - especially when it comes to what to do with the excess coax between antenna and radio.
      -Mike B-
      '01 XJ Sport
      '11KK Limited

Comment

make sure hou have good ground at that attenna is above roof ( if xj or wj / zj) wranglers dont have a steel roof so attenna hieght not as critical :)
        I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
        Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
        it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
        Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Originally posted by JeepN4kc View Post
          ^^^Thanks. That's what I've been reading as well since my post. I found alot of info saying that the goal is to get as close to 1 but real world application anything between 2 and 1.5 isn't uncommon. I'll keep researching as there is a ton of conflicting stuff out there - especially when it comes to what to do with the excess coax between antenna and radio.
          Yeah, I understand. Back in the 70's, we used to just cut the coax to length. Now, they say to spread the extra cable and not to overlap it over itself.
          Bill T.

Comment

So I recoiled my excess in a figure8/infinity; shaved off a little more powder coat off the antenna mount/coax junction; seated the threaded post for the spring all the way to the mounting nut; then seated the spring to the threaded post; then the antenna to the spring. My resulting SWR's:

Ch 1 SWR = 1.6
            Ch 40 SWR = 1.6
            Ch 20 SWR = 1.1

I'm calling that dialled in !
            -Mike B-
            '01 XJ Sport
            '11KK Limited

Comment

Looks good.
              Bill T.

Comment

Yeah, it's crazy how the smallest adjustments can effect the SWR's by more than ya think.
                -Mike B-
                '01 XJ Sport
                '11KK Limited

Comment

yea it can change just by moving antenna mount and the wind ( at highway speeds) can affect it to!
                  Thats why I like me cobra 29 ltd :)
                  I can adjust swr while driving to get best performance for conditions ;)
                  I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
                  Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
                  it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
                  Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Working...
                  X