Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would there be any interests in a CB how to/ setup / antenna Q & A thread?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would there be any interests in a CB how to/ setup / antenna Q & A thread?

Would there be any interests in a CB how to/ setup / antenna Q & A thread?

I figure I have plenty of time and I noticed there is a lot of 'miscommunication' as to things like communication range and the non-importance of tuning an antenna.,

We could even cover why a Cobra 19 barely 'gets out' and a Cobra 29 LTD Classic, that puts out the same power gets out way further...

Anyway would there be any interest in a thread? Or maybe even an entire section on this subject?

We might also discuss how I am able to talk from 66030 to 64052 while STILL running a LEGAL CB on both ends... Or maybe we can even discuss How I talked from 64052 to Australia just last week? Or how a truck driver that was stranded on a mountain road in Colorado was able contact a guy in Arizona and he then contacted the CO highway patrol.

I have already started writing a thread (I just have not put it up on the forum yet)
    Last edited by ericfx1984; 01-25-2012, 09:30 PM.

didn't realize you were already in this forum. My bad.

Comment

My CB radio needs have only been to contact my group while 4wheelin. Most applications work for this, I would assume, but I've been wrong before......many many times, actually, but whatever. If I can communicate within a few mile radius, I'm happy. I just bought a cobra cb radio from amazon for about $40. still need an antenna, but didn't want to go all out. Just something that works.

Comment

I'd be interested. I've had all kinds of weird intermittent issues - if I'm too close (< 1/4 mile or so) sometimes it doesn't work. Or if I'm trying to reach someone on the other side of an ORV park, it's hit or miss. I'd like to get mine working like an OTR trucker's, so it will work both up close and personal, as well as FAR away across the park....

Comment

good idea
          2006 LJ Rubicon

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
            I'd be interested. I've had all kinds of weird intermittent issues - if I'm too close (< 1/4 mile or so) sometimes it doesn't work. Or if I'm trying to reach someone on the other side of an ORV park, it's hit or miss. I'd like to get mine working like an OTR trucker's, so it will work both up close and personal, as well as FAR away across the park....
            I have never heard of being to close ! When I drove over the road I could talk to truck parked next to me ( antennas probably just a couple of feet appart!
            As for parks, hill play alot on radio transmission / recieving! Radio waves go in straight line and yes there is atmospheric bounce, but it isnt reliable even on a base station cuz the conditions change, after all it is weather related! Lol
            I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
            Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
            it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
            Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Eric-
              I would love to read your post as i love the CB when going on long trips pulling my trailer and wouldn't mind having a better setup in my litl red Jeep.
              Thanks
              Alan

Comment

Originally posted by spunebil View Post
                I have never heard of being to close !
                On the last trip to Moab, anytime I got within about 1/4 mile of Mike, my transmission was garbled. If I slowed down and let him lead a bit further, we could chat just fine. Weird, huh?

Comment

Yeah, I'd be interested. Been thinking of upgrading from the Cobra 75 WXST to a more robust, permanently mounted unit...it'd be nice to get things tuned up and working the best they can.

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
                    On the last trip to Moab, anytime I got within about 1/4 mile of Mike, my transmission was garbled. If I slowed down and let him lead a bit further, we could chat just fine. Weird, huh?

Yes, that is WEIRD! :)
                    I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
                    Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
                    it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
                    Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

I will keep working on the thread... it's still not quite ready for posting

as for not working when you are close, try lowering you RF gain and tell the other guy to do the same (assuming your radio has that control)

Comment

I would be interested in your thoughts on setup as well. I have a new Cobra 40 ch and mounted the anteanna on the rear on the spare tire stop, pretty much sucks. I have no field for the anteanna so it just isn't working great. Do some posts! Do some posts!

Comment

Hey Eric, your in box is full...trying to reach ya.

Comment

He hasn't been on here in a while.

Comment

Good morning all,
                              How would you like the low down on CB radio and some answers to the mysteries of communicating on Citizens Band.
                              We look at the boxes that the CB's come in and it says they are 27 mHz. The government set aside a section of frequencies for public use and called it the Citizens Band of Frequencies.
                              Talking to any Ham operator, you would hear them call it 11 meter radio. This is because the best length of an antenna for this frequency is 11 meters long! Of course you think with an antenna that long, you couldn't pass under a bridge or power line...you are correct!!!
                              This is where the Electrical Engineers come into play. They found out, mostly by trail and error, that you could have efficent communications if you used full wave antennas, (11 meters), half wave antennas, and quarter wave antennas. The best choice for automotive use is the quarter wave antenna. In the 1960s and 1970s during CB big hayday when Truckers ruled the highway frequencies, you would see cars with a 102" stainless steel whip antenna mounted on a bumper. Of course with the 6" spring mound the length of the antenna would be exactly 108", or a quarter of 11 meters. The perfect length for a CB radio antenna.
                              Not the average Trucker like the giant length antennas because they thought Bigger is Better. The average home owner wanted something a little more descreet.
                              So the Engineers figured out they could trick the radio into thinking it had a 108" antenna with a coil loaded antenna. These are the typical CB radio antennas with the little fat cylinder at the mount and a 35" antenna sticking out the top. In the coil was really just 72-74 inches of insulated wire coiled up so the radio thought it was 108" inches long. The 35" wire sits into an adjusting sleeve so you can "tune" your SWR, Stand Wave Relection signal.

So now you know everything about CB...or at least enough to be dangerous.

I would gladly trade any electrical knowledge for Jeep know how. I just got my first Jeep, (a long time desire), and have a lot to learn!
                              Jack

Comment

Working...
                              X