No announcement yet.

Popular CB Channels and a few questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something else to consider, the curvature of earth is around 8" per mile, so a antenna 7' high will reach a 7' high antenna 21 miles away at same elevation and no big hills or other obstructions in the way .
    course it will need enough power to be heard over stronger signals
    I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
    Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
    it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
    Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Originally posted by spunebil View Post
      If you can get tadio waves to Bend (follow curvature of earth) then get a patten on prossess cause it will make you Super Rich
      it's not that they follow, and more that they are pulled

HF transmission propogate as both ground (or earth/surface wave) and also as skywave...

there is more than one layer in HF frequencies

Comment

Originally posted by ericfx1984 View Post

HF transmission propogate as both ground (or earth/surface wave) and also as skywave...

LOL

You Full of It

Now show me how to wheel
        Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

Originally posted by ericfx1984 View Post

Pulled? You can't seriously believe that. Radio frequency (RF) is radiated, and those waves will be refracted (bent) back by the upper atmosphere provided the angle of incidence is shallow enough and the frequency is in the HF bands, otherwise it just punches through the atmosphere and escapes, never to be returned (maybe the aliens will listen in?)

There are a few equations you can look into, such as maximum usable frequency, minimum usable frequency, and optimal frequency. Check out sporadic E if you want to know more.

FYI, CB is an 11m wavelength or somewhere around 27.27mhz (300mps/11m). This frequency is low enough to be refracted back by the upper atmosphere so you could indeed chat non-line of sight if you get good propagation.
          "People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them." -Dave Barry

Comment

pulled was not quite the word I was looking for... but it does bounce back... or skip around... I mean for that matter I was talking with a man in Nova Scotia today... no line of sight there

I talk with a guy in California every few days... again, no line of sight

the ground wave is pretty much line of sight... this is true, but there are other factors... and when that signal hits the atmosphere... it skips to another place different layers of the atmosphere can skip the signal to different places or allow it to pass through completely

but the truth is the signal can be reflected back downward in a way that it would APPEAR to curve... I realize it is not actually curving... it's more of a bounce than anything... it is just much simpler to say that the signal curves of bends

I did not explain it in great detail before because the result is the same... I realize that when signal 'skips' it goes up and then reflects back down... given enough information I would imagine a person could calculate where the signals would 'skip' to...

here is a picture I took tonight of MY base setup... everything is hooked for the most part...

the golden eagle has not been hooked up for a LONG TIME, in fact I think it is unplugged

and NO that antenna in the background is NOT hooked up to anything

the D104 was given to me by the man that got me started in radio when I was about 12-13

Last edited by ericfx1984; 01-09-2012, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Your " skip" is the bounce I mentioned earlier , all other transmissions are in a straight line !
              Ie: line of site.
              Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

Eric, judging from your shack picture, you are a radio geek. :)
                "People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them." -Dave Barry

Comment

Originally posted by tfiedler View Post
                  Eric, judging from your shack picture, you are a radio geek. :)
                  lol, what gave you that idea

but yeah just a little, I managed to get out of it for a while... but then I bought a CB for the Jeep and before too long I was hook... AGAIN
                  Last edited by ericfx1984; 01-03-2012, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Eric do you still work on radios and how about old school tube stuff?? thanks!

Comment

In telecommunications, squelch is a circuit function that acts to suppress the audio output of a receiver in the absence of a sufficiently strong desired input signal. Essentially, squelch is a specialized type of noise gate designed to suppress randomized signals. Squelch is widely used in two-way radios and radio scanners to suppress the sound of channel noise when the radio is not receiving a transmission. Squelch can be opened, which allows all signals entering the receiver to be heard. This is not engine noise , altho alternator can emit electrical frequencies, but not the Engine
                      Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

Working...
                      X