Best first welder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best first welder

Ok, the summer is coming to an end so it's time for my fantasy talk about buying a welder and building my own bumpers & rocker panels. I've been eyei'ng the ones at harbor freight for a loooong time, but not sure which to go with. The reviews are pretty good, but was wondering what luck you guys have had since you use yours for similar projects that I plan to.....

First thing....arc or mig?

This flux wire one (whatever that is) says it can weld up to 1/2" and is about 120 bucks, but some of the reviews say not and one says they've welded up to 5/8". Either way, 1/4" is about as thick as I'd ever weld. Anything thicker means it's important & I'd probably have a pro do it.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/welding...der-98871.html

This arc welder is about 100 bucks, but can only weld up to 3/16"
    http://www.harborfreight.com/welding...der-98870.html

Both can plug into almost any outlet (I think), but I can install a larger outlet with greater capacity, but that will cost a lot more dinero. If it's safe to weld in the basement with open windows, then it wouldn't bee too much more since it's a shorter run to my ac panel. My goal is to get a cheap welder that can plug into any outlet and weld up to 1/4" steel. I plan on building bumpers & rocker panels for now, but nothing bigger than that. It's a starter welder so I don't need anything fancy yet.

So....any thoughts? recommendations?

Thanks!

I wouldn't suggest a flux core HF welder for the first welder. They are decent for a 'hobby' welder but I wouldn't suggest to build bumpers, etc with it. They are basically on/off and the 'burn' is hi or low. Not very functional for the material and its thickness.

I would suggest you look into the Lincoln, Hobart, and Miller biggener's welders. TSC has sales that save $50-75 depending on what model you get for the Hobarts. Miller and Lincoln can be found at Lowes and Home Depot, as well as welding supply stores. Get yourself a good set of gloves, jacket and helmet (large face cover). Then get junk metal (free at most metal cutting suppliers) and practice.

I'd also recommend you take a welding class as a community college or trade school. They are very helpful for the $80 you pay. KCK has a class in thier comminuty college at night for a couple of weeks.
    Mike
    Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

You get what you pay for with welders.

I would choose to purchase a good used welder over a cheap new one.

Wally

Comment

Harbor Freight does have some decent welders... check out there Dual Big 151... it is a rebadged Clarke... it will burn through 1/4" steel like nothing...

HB bought them when Clarke went out of business...

I bought one and I liked it... before that I had a Lincoln HD3200 (110v '130 amp') and I can tell you this Harbor Freight (clarke built) Dual mig 151 welder has some balls...

first thing I did was upgraded the ground clamp, then upgraded the cooling fan... then made a new spindle so I could use a 10lbs spool instead of 1-2 lbs spools... saved a good deal of cash...

I plan to upgrade the welder again buy installing a miller 36v capacitor... that is a about a $50 upgrade... !!! but it is worth while...

it is compatible with gas an flux... it is compatible with lincoln welding tips... it has high temp protection...

also you can purchase the warranty at any time... even after your product breaks...then it is FREE to replace/repair

the Dual mig 151 can usually be caught on sale for around $200

all in all I am VERY happy with my purchase and it has far exceeded my preconceptions...

no matter what you get I would avoid 110v welders... 220v is the way to go!

also Harbor Freight's $500-600 TIG welders are a rebadged and repainted Lincoln TIG welder... my buddy has on and he took his Lincoln TIG home from wwork to compare... identical... just about $600 cheaper...

Comment

another monkey wrench.....I'd need to install a 220 outlet which is easy enough to do just cost more for wire and whatnot. That and the price for a welder.....the winter project is once again drifting out of reach. really, I just want some bumpers and maybe the know how to do some minor welding ont he side, so maybe I'll sit this one out.....

Comment

Another consideration, buy the steel stock, consumables then borrow/ learn on someone else's equipment. It would be more affordable, also give you a chance to test drive welders too.

Wally

Comment

you are welcome to come over to my place and build your bumpers over here... maybe we could both build bumpers?

Comment

I may take you up on that offer sometime. I also want to replace my suspension and a few other things so cost is a big issue. Depends ont he price of steel and my funds.

Comment

Look for a reputable brand used flux core mig 110v unit. It will do effectively everything you want for now. They can be had for under $300 and will last forever. You can always convert it to a gas unit as well if it doesn't come with the kit to do it already.

I ran a Lincoln 100HD weld pak all through college and for a couple of years afterward.

We're running a Miller Passport now and I just ordered my new Passport Combo rig. It took me a long time to need to step up to a $2k welder from my little 110. In fact I still miss that dude occasionally!

Comment

1. Miller... pure beast... some of the best welders out there
                    2. Hobart... pretty much the same as Miller as far as quality goes
                    3. Clarke... suck thing is Clarke went bankrupt... so you either buy your stuff used or you buy a Clarke Welder with a Harbor Freight sticker on it... Clarke is not well known... but Clarke still has a cult following
                    4. Lincoln... everyone has heard of Lincoln... I used to have an HD3200... I beat that thing silly and it just kept on going

My buddy, who has been a fabricator for close to 10 years, and his Father who has been a fabricator for over 35 years, will not touch a Lincoln... they will use the top 3 I had listed though... I guess they had a bad experience...

Comment

Working...
                    X