CB Antenna

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CB Antenna

So I'm wanting to replace my CB Antenna but know nothing about them. I'm wanting to place the antenna near the radio antenna in the hood channel. I am gonna get a Firestik II 3 foot long. I was gonna use the mount MK-174 on the Firestik website. Is there anything else that I'm going to need or any other recommendations? Thanks.

I've got a buddy that is a genius when it comes to CB's. He swears by Wilson antennas. His Wilson broke so he replaced it with a firestick (it was all he could find locally). Had nothing but problems, replaced it with another Wilson and all was good again. He recommends the Wilson Flex. It's not as prone to breaking like the fiberglass ones are.

Comment

Oddly enough this very question was just covered in the April 2011 issue of JP magazine.
      It does not appear that the article is online yet, but it seems their recommendations are in-line with Scooter_Trash's friend.
      More specifically, they favor the base-loaded Wilson 5000 mounted thru the roof for a metal-top Jeep, and a base loaded Wilson 1000 mounted on the rear tire carrier for a open-top Jeep.

Comment

I've been following this guys site for a while now and he has some good wright ups on a lot of different subjects...........including cb's and antennas

http://www.stu-offroad.com/misc.asp

Comment

Thanks for all your help guys. Here is what I decided to do:
          My CB is mounted on the center console on the passenger's side. I ran the cable under the passenger seat and under the side molding near the floor. Then I ran it under the rear seat and under the carpet in the cargo area to the rear. I then took the rear side molding where the spare tire holder is screwed into. I found a plastic cap near the light housing that I went thru. Maybe a little water will get in but I don't really care. I then cut a little hole in the plastic near the bumper.

I mounted the antenna with a flat bracket under the bumper cap and drilled a hole thru the bumper cap so the antenna wad somewhat protected. Here are some more pics.

Comment

I've run a 4' firestick on my TJ for 5 years w/o any issues. That being said, I only use it on the trail, but it works fine for me.

Comment

Working...
            X