Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All four speakers stopped working at the same time

Hey guys,

The speakers stopped working in my '99 TJ and I didn't know if there is anything you recommend that I start with checking? When I saw that the head unit was still powered, I assumed that something had blown or fried in the head unit and it wasn't putting out a signal.

I replaced the head unit and there's still nothing at any of the speakers. I know I should have tested it before I threw in the new unit but I have never seen all speakers stop working when the stereo is properly powered?

I'm going to try to find some time tonight to pull out a couple of the speakers and wire them direct but I didn't know if anyone had dealt with something similar?

Thanks!

Are the speakers factory-amplified? I know when I had a 94' Intrepid it had the stock infinity amplified system and when I didn't hook up the amp turn-on wire with my aftermarket head unit the speakers quit working.

Comment

Wranglers don't have amplifiers. Turn your stereo off and unplug one speaker at a time and turn it back on. You have a speaker that is either grounding out (wire touching metal somewhere) or you have blown one or more speakers and they are shorting out. When this happens the internal amplifier in the radio sees the wrong resistance that it cannot handle and shuts down. Until yo can do this turn your radio off and DO NOT try to leave it on, you can burn it up as well and end up costing yourself some more money. Hope this helps

Comment

I didn't figure they did, but hey it was worth a shot! :)

Comment

Thanks a lot for the input guys! I'll try to find a few minutes to start unplugging the speakers and will check back in when I get that done. I think I should've bought a bigger box of connectors : )

Thanks!

Comment

That was it, thanks again! I went ahead and disconnected that speaker for now until I have time to locate the issue.

Thanks!

Comment

You're welcome. Glad it worked. Now, if you have a multimeter, set it to resistance, and put the leads on the + and - and it should read 4 ohms. if it's any different, or bouncing resistance, or open, then the speaker is bad and that's what I would bet anyway. Or just replace the pair and be done with it.

Comment

Are there any speakers that you would recommend that would be a good balance of price, quality sound and durability? So do you sell car audio? Btw, the ones I'll probably need are the ones in the roll bar pods.

Thanks

Comment

I know its been a couple months, but I have polk speakers in mine and like them. They are marine rated, so they're probably good for jeep use where they are exposed to the elements.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB65...=polk+speakers

Crutchfield is pricey. You can order them elsewhere for about half of that price.
                  Last edited by kcmudbug; 03-31-2011, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X