Painless wiring harness kits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painless wiring harness kits

Anybody had any experience with "Painless Wiring Harness Kits"?

I am thinking about ordering a brand new wiring harness for my CJ7.

I have a summer time electrical system. Summer time it works, summer time it doesn't. I have wires dangling all over the place, my radio works part time, the heater blower works part time, the window washer motor works part time. I have blown up two CBs now. :?

Wally

I have formulated a plan.

The first place I am going to go is to a body shop. Yes, a body shop. I have a leak somewhere near the firewall. I have taken the fenders off multiple times, sprayed water multiple times looking for the leak. I have caulked the heck out of stuff and I STILL have a freaking leak somewhere. :shock: it ONLY leaks when it rains. I see water dripping down from "somewhere" along the firewall. :? At this point, I have done everything I know to do, and all that has been suggested, I am going to let somebody else above my pay grade help me get this silly problem fixed.

THEN once I have recovered from that adventure, order a "painless wiring kit" the "whole enchilada" and get this Jeep rewired. I don't see the point in rewiring the jeep, with a nice and new wiring harness when I am still dealing with water issues that will continue to corrode my wiring harnesses, short circut stuff thus tearing up my junk. I really liked my little CB, now its looking like it bit the dust because of water.

Wally

Comment

When I rebuilt my '53 Chevy PU I put a Painless in it, and I was very impressed with the simplicity of the whole harness.

top quality stuff. It has been several years ago tho.

Dan

Comment

I appreciate the feedback Dan.

I was thinking about calling Painless wiring first, before I ordered to make sure that I order the correct product/ products.

I may want to install an automatic transmission down the road, not sure if it matters? I have several wires to accessories that are directly wired to the battery, I want to make sure that I can get the accessories wired through the fuse box, so that its done right, proper vs jury rigged and short cut.

Wally

Comment

Ok, I am down to ONE hole in the firewall that needs to be filled. :D

Apparently when various people installed stuff into the Jeep, they drilled holes through the firewall, and the water drips in through the firewall. Also I had a bad rubber seal between the master cylinder and the firewall.

BIG THANKS to Buckner Collision Center for looking at my Jeep for free, finding my leaks! I offered to pay them a couple of times, refused both times, emphatically. They do work for Matt Ford, and have done a few repairs for family members that turned out well.

Since them my horn quit working, the CB, radio, heater, volt meter, BUT it still starts. I ordered a "Painless Wiring Harness Kit" should be in this next week.

Hopefully I will be able to honk at people, listen to some tunes, keep the windows defrosted and give a big 10-4 on my CB in a couple of weeks. :D

Wally

Comment

The harness came in this last monday as 4wd Hardware said it would. :D

The harness looks cherry, its loomed, with the appropriate connectors, set up for everything including the lightbulbs! :shock:

I was planning on tearing it apart myself. Then I decided that it might be too much between starting a new job in Marshall Missouri, maintaining family time, while getting it up and running in a reasonable amount of time. So I farmed it out. I should get it back in a couple of weeks.

Wally

Comment

glad to hear ya finally found your water bugs, Wally. hope that harness works good for ya. over'n'out!

Comment

Wally, its likely too late for this info now, but it sounds like you have a bad ground to the body especially the blowing up two CB's part. Once you get the painless installed, I would suggest a nice grounding strap from the battery, or engine to a solid piece of bodywork and maybe a strap to the frame as well. (just tossin that out there)

Comment

I had several problems that lead to grounding issues!

A badly corroded fuse box, multiple splices of wires, wires that were hot but not properly secured, water coming into the cab wreaking havoc combined with 26 year old wiring. After dinking with it half a dozen times, ruining CBS, a starter, I had every wire, lightbulb, connection replaced including blinker relays! The starter, battery, frame grounds were replaced as well. I figured I would continue to have problems until I quit putting bandaids on the problem.

Comment

how did the harness turn out? i am thinking of redoing mine but am a little hesitant to tackle it myself. i dont want something that takes two days (from what ive read) taking two months to get done. time just never seems to be a surplus.

Comment

Working...
                    X