Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring help needed

Hey all,
    I am a prety decent shadetree mechanic, nuts and bolts and such are no sweat. Electronics however give me a headache, especially when I am trying to use a relay, or two. I am re-wiring my Daylighters as the relay that came with them has died, after half the contacts fell off, and all the markings were covered in corrosion I tried to hook up a new relay. Well I blew one of the inline fuses and am frustrated. I am also going to TRY to wire up a manual switch for the aux fan, already have the switch, and a relay, and the inline fuse holder dealy for this project, I just need to borrow someone elses noggin to show me how it is done, Shoot even a VERY newbie friendly wiring web site would probably help.
    Any and all help is of course appreciated.
    Adam Gearon

Do you have a digital multimeter??

Comment

No but I have an analog voltage meter.

Comment

if you have a new relay it should have a diagram on it as to how to wire it

Comment

You going on the Sunday run to KSRocks? if so bring all your stuff, pencil and paper and I will help you do it.
          Wes

Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Comment

YJ fixer, I have the relay, I just have no freaking clue how to read the diagram. Like I said I have bupkis for electrical knowledge. But I am trying to learn more.
            Wes,
            You got it I will put on my learnin hat and see ya there.
            Adam Gearon

Comment

When I wired my silinoid in for my winch I enlisted the help of NAPA those guys don't care if you bought the parts from them (all I bought was a fuse or two).

FOr the aux fan. You will need to find a "switched poer source" (ie. when the key is on the run position), you can use your voltage meter for this (usally you can go to your fuse box and start form there. Then place your inline fuse as close to the power sorce as possible, while still making it convient to change a fuse if necessary. From there put your switch in the location you want it and run the wire accordingly to the switch (power to the switch from the fuse, the ground and now the "switched power" wire to your relay location. Depending on your relay, it will need a power, ground and the switched wire going to the relay and then the switched wire going from the relay to the componet (fan). I believe this is how it should wire up, but like all things if your not there to see the parts you are using ( and with electrical even more ) this may be a bit different.

Austin

Comment

Thanks Austin. I went ot Radio Shack and bought a realy that had a nice, neet diagram on the back of the box that actually made sense to me. I already have the switch and fuse holder set up and wired in I just need to tap the wire for the fan and hook up the relay. Anyone have a clue which wire to tap? green or black?
                Thanks,
                Adam Gearon

Comment

When you get the fan running use you voltage meter to tell you . Watch you finger(s)!

Austin

Comment

Well I got it working. I stopped using the switch that was for an old set of fog-lights and used the one that came with my daylighters and it worked. So I think I need to get a different switch.
                    thanks,
                    Adam G

Comment

Starter problem chasing.

k, i hate to switch subjects, but im having issues with my XJ starting, its an 89' and my dad and i chaced it down to somewhere inbetween the ignition switch and the do-dad that has one wire going in and like 7 or 8 coming out one of wich goes to the starter. it is concurent but gets no juice when the key hits "start" posistion. so anyone know or have a wire diagram that will tell me where the wires run between the before mentioned places.

thanks for all the help.

Comment

I will check the manual in the morning and post up a reply.
                        Adam Gearon

Comment

OK! Is the one wire that goes in coming from the distributor? Then it has a clip on the other side with several wires plugged in? is it mounted on the engine block between the distributor and the fan? If this is it then it is the ignition coil.
                          Or it may be the starter relay, I have no idea where this part is located but it shows it as having on wire in fromthe battery, one to the starter solenoid, one to the ignition and one to ground.
                          That is about as helpful as I cna be right now, it is late nad I am tired.
                          Adam Gearon

Comment

OK thanks for everyones the help, i put a push button start on it and that fixed the starting issue only to uncover more issues but after putting on a new starter realay (SP) my key now works as well and it seems to be running fine now, it does seem however that it may be a touch out of time. its been along time since if timed a truck so some help would be apriceated, anyone out there got a timeing gun sitting around?

Comment

Yes I do.

What year is that? Nevermind - I read some more and I think you said 89. I'll look in my book, somewhere along in those years, a timing light quit being of any use.

Comment

Working...
                              X