HD Radio?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD Radio?

Has anyone tried it yet I was looking on there site KC really doesn't have that many stations yet but St. Louis has like 30 or more. Also does anyone have XM or Sirius? I had XM a few years ago. Anyone have any opinions on any of them?
    "Satisfactory results" is an elusive goal.
    ¡¡¡ɹəʌo əɯ lloɹ sıɥʇ pɐəɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

I have a Serius receiver in my company truck. It doesn't have CD quality sound but I got it for its reception. I work all over SE Kansas and radio stations South of Ottawa are at a minimum. If I lived and worked closer to KC, I don't think I would have one.

Comment

I use XM. The stations I listen to sound fine.

Comment

I have a couple of Sirius units, one fixed mounted and the other is portable between the car and an in-home device. Both work very well with good sound and dependable coverage. Probably wouldn't have gotten them for just around town, however, but are excellent for long road trips.

Comment

"when you grow up, you still act stupid. You just pace your stupidity. When you're young and you don't give a f..., you act stupid all the time" -Cliffy B

What a hoot! We saw this in action this past weekend with our daughter and her cousin acting totally goofy and they didn't have a care in the world about the folks around. What a joy!!

I'm rather ignorant on the topic but I have heard there is a push to bring the radio stations forward into the digital age.

Comment

we have XM on our farm trucks, it is nice to have a constant signal. Not all of the channels are commercial free, but most are. It really pays of on long road trips, not having to "hunt" for a station playing what you want to listen to. I also put it in my tow rig.Several years of service, with only one problem. I broke one of the antennas.

Comment

Tim, my father in law works in radio. He was explaining the HD radio thing to me. My understanding is that over the next few years each radio station that goes to renew their license will have to show they are broadcasting a digital signal. The digital signal is what allows for HD radio, much like HD TV. However, each station can transmit multiple feeds, I think it is 3 audio and no limit to data, for a given frequency.

His opinion is that, under the current plan, by 2010 almost every station will broadcast a digital signal, and by 2015 there will be little left on analog. He sees many problems with this quick transition.

The only HD unit I have seen was pretty good. It took a few seconds for it to lock in, much like changing the channel on satellite radio.

BTW - we have Sirius. I am adding it to my truck as well. I like it better than XM b/c they have the comedy channels. However, since XM and Sirius looked destined to join each other, my guess is that soon they will have the same programming.

Comment

Working...
              X