Minor Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minor Questions

I noticed that the new forum is having the same problem the old forum was having...it doesn't clear the "new post" icons when all the topics are read in each forum...I have to hit the mark all topics read and then reload the forum main page.

Also I found where the smileys are, but I don't see a short cut area when typing a message...is this because I'm an onliner :loser: ?

Bueller? :???:

Comment

i heard from a friend of my girlfriend's sister's aunt who knows a guy that talks to a lady who heard from one of her brother's friends that there's a post on this already...

Comment

Originally posted by t-rav_12 View Post
        i heard from a friend of my girlfriend's sister's aunt who knows a guy that talks to a lady who heard from one of her brother's friends that there's a post on this already...
        Yeah...it's two above that pointless post. :blahblah:

If your referring to the other posts in "site updates and website help" section...I just looked again and didnt see anything relative, but I could have easy overlooked something. If you feel like contributing something beneficial than by all means a link would be appreciated.

Comment

sorry, Darrin, i thought it would be funny to play along with your "...Beuller?..." request. i think this is the thread...

http://www.kcjeepclub.org/forum/show...?3658-Hey-Rich......

i jus' noticed that this link is in club member topics, so ya may not be able to see it? i asked (in the above thread) if it should be moved somewhere available to online members too.
          Last edited by t-rav_12; 10-31-2010, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by t-rav_12 View Post
            sorry, Darrin, i thought it would be funny to play along with your "...Beuller?..." request. i think this is the thread...

http://www.kcjeepclub.org/forum/show...?3658-Hey-Rich......

No harm...I suppose I took it a little to serious.

Following that link on verifies my " onliner" :loser: status...says I don't have permission.

Comment

you no have permission cause you are not worthy !

become a club member and you too

can share the bountiful rewards that it entails ! :pbj:

this is said in JEST so dont have a COW ! LOL
              Last edited by spunebil; 10-31-2010, 08:14 AM.
              I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
              Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
              it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
              Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

i don't see any "top-secret" info in that thread, Darrin, so i'll follow up to make sure it gets moved to an accessible forum for ya. :salut:

Comment

How are you reading new posts? When I log in, I navigate to Forum -> New Posts. Then for each thread I care to read, I right-click and say 'open in new tab'. When I've got all the tabs opened in my browser, I read them one by one, closing them as I finish each thread. Then when I'm left with just that tab showing all the new posts, I click 'Mark Forums Read' and log off.

If you are trying to read individual forums, you're probably running into the same thing Spune saw...if you use your browser's back button to return to the forum from a thread, it won't update the read marks because it's not re-running the query on the server. You have to click the link to the forum.

See the attached document for an example of what I mean.

If you click 'Go Advanced' while editing your post, the first 25 smilies will show up to the right of the window you're typing your message in. If you click the 'More' link under them, you'll get a pop-up with the complete list. Put your cursor where you want the smiley and click on the one you want to insert.

forum_demo.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
                    How are you reading new posts? When I log in, I navigate to Forum -> New Posts. Then for each thread I care to read, I right-click and say 'open in new tab'. When I've got all the tabs opened in my browser, I read them one by one, closing them as I finish each thread. Then when I'm left with just that tab showing all the new posts, I click 'Mark Forums Read' and log off.

If you are trying to read individual forums, you're probably running into the same thing Spune saw...if you use your browser's back button to return to the forum from a thread, it won't update the read marks because it's not re-running the query on the server. You have to click the link to the forum.

See the attached document for an example of what I mean.
                    I go to the forum main screen. I see that there is a new post in general tech. I open general tech I read the new post I hit the back button and return to the forum main screen. I repeat that for each new topic. It works on all the other forum I read and it used to work on the old forum until a coup;le months ago.

Originally posted by rjh View Post
                    If you click 'Go Advanced' while editing your post, the first 25 smilies will show up to the right of the window you're typing your message in. If you click the 'More' link under them, you'll get a pop-up with the complete list. Put your cursor where you want the smiley and click on the one you want to insert.
                    The only smilies I have are the "Post Icons" directly below the box I'm typing in... The only way I'm able to get to them is all the way at the bottom of the screen where I can choose to disable code, smilies, images etc..

Comment

Originally posted by diabloed View Post
                      I go to the forum main screen. I see that there is a new post in general tech. I open general tech I read the new post I hit the back button and return to the forum main screen. I repeat that for each new topic. It works on all the other forum I read and it used to work on the old forum until a coup;le months ago.
                      The problem is with the 'Back' button; you need to click on the forum link at the top of the page to reload it. For example, at the top of this page where it says Forum -> KC Jeep Club Administration -> Site Updates and Website Help -> Minor Questions, you can click on the Site Updates and Website Help to go back to this thread's forum and update the post counters. When you hit your "back" button, your browser is just re-displaying the previous page - it's not actually making a round trip to the server to regenerate the page.

Alternatively, you can reload the page after you hit your back button (Command-R on a Mac, or Shift-F5 on a PC I believe). That will tell your browser to go fetch the page again, which will re-run the post counter query on the server, and should update the thread titles for you with the right icons/highlighting.

Originally posted by diabloed View Post
                      The only smilies I have are the "Post Icons" directly below the box I'm typing in... The only way I'm able to get to them is all the way at the bottom of the screen where I can choose to disable code, smilies, images etc..
                      Go to Settings -> General Settings. Scroll down to Miscellaneous Options. Change your editor from "Basic Editor" to "Enhanced Interface".

Then when you reply to a post, hit the 'Go Advanced' button to get to the full WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editor, and you'll see the smilies to the right of the text box. There's a 'More' link to pop-up the full list. You can click the one(s) you want to insert them into the message.

Comment

Eh...one out of two isn't so bad ;)

That fixed the smilies, but still have trouble with the "new posts"

All I know is it wasn't like that 2-3 months ago and most all boards will function that way. Also even if I hit the refresh button it doesn't go away. Only after I hit mark as read.

Comment

Must be your browser/computer then. If I press the 'Back' arrow in Firefox (OSX 10.6.4) I see the new post icon and bold text. If I hit Command-R to reload the page, it "fixes" it. *shrug*

Comment

on mine even after marking all as read It still will show new post till I check it out again .......annoying to say the least !
                            I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
                            Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
                            it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
                            Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Then you're not doing something right. :D

I have had zero problems with the 'Mark Forums Read' link. I've tried 3 browsers and 2 operating systems and can't duplicate the issue you're complaining about...it ALWAYS marks the posts read when I click it.

Comment

Working...
                              X