Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Ace's "Helpful Hardware Man" doesn't have?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Ace's "Helpful Hardware Man" doesn't have?

Does anyone know somewhere that sells every (hardened) size bolt, nut, and washer imaginable?

My dad used to got to the Ace lumber store on Southwest Blvd.

Comment

This place does:

http://www.fastenal.com/web/home

Online or I know they have a shop/store in Grain Valley - couple other locations IIRC.

Only down side is usually you have to buy in bulk.
      -Mike B-
      '01 XJ Sport
      '11KK Limited

Comment

Great! just what I need, 500 9/16" Extra Thick G9 hardened flat washers

Comment

Originally posted by suht-l View Post
          Great! just what I need, 500 9/16" Extra Thick G9 hardened flat washers
          Yeah I know - but they do sell every one imaginable.

Honestly, Westlake Hardware, the 2 in Blue Springs anyway, carries a great selection of most any fastener I've ever needed.
          -Mike B-
          '01 XJ Sport
          '11KK Limited

Comment

Try Fastenall on 40 hwy . Its on south side of road around gates brbq, which is on north side ! If they dont stock it, they can order it !
            I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
            Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
            it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
            Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

A couple of places to try

A couple of stores to try would be Orscheln's and Tractor Supply Co. Another place to check would be a local tractor dealership (i.e. John Deere, Kubota, etc.)

We have Orscheln's locally and they stock a nice assortment of hardened bolts, washers, nuts, etc. Sadly they don't have a lot of locations in the KC metro area. You would have to drive a ways to get to one.

I haven't been in a Tractor Supply for years but I would think that they would have bolts and miscellaneous for sale there too. Plus they tend to be in the larger metro areas.
              Heath
              2016 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock
              2014 JKU Rubicon X Package - Deceased - Thank you for your sacrifice in protecting my family.

Comment

My son works at the Tractor Supply at 291 and 23rd in Independence - they carry a pretty good assortment of hardened bolts, etc.
                --
                It's not a bad road filled with potholes and broken pavement, it's just Jeep-friendly.

Comment

Thanks for turning me on to Fastenal. Unfortunately they did not have everything in stock locally on my rather obscure grocery list. I checked their on-line inventory after visiting the Liberty store.
                  ACE hardware & Orschelin in Kearney had some ingredients but not all so I went ahead and bought the Synergy kit.
                  http://www.synergymfg.com/Synergy-Je...t-p-30501.html
                  Pricey for nuts & bolts I know but it was one-stop shopping and it’s not mix and match metal grades. More important, the shoulder length of the bolts should be dead on.
                  I’ll post biopsy results after the install.

Comment

Nuts and Bolts has quite a few odds and ends. Not 500, but usually 15-20. They have graded in both standard ASE and metric as well as SS. I like that you can get a standard hex head, allen, Torx among other styles. Nut Serts, speed nuts, body bracket hardware. They also have quite a bit of chrome stuff too. Lowes "sometimes" has a few things that the other places don't have.

I like Fastenal, but I routinely have to order the hardware in, sometimes being able to look directly at the hardware is helpful.

Wally

Comment

Small world Umbra! I'm from Trenton! Graduated THS in 1994, so my guess is I'm a bit older than you. Welcome to the club!

Comment

Originally posted by TommyG View Post
                        Small world Umbra! I'm from Trenton! Graduated THS in 1994, so my guess is I'm a bit older than you. Welcome to the club!
                        Small world indeed! I'm actually just a tad older. :)

I was a member of the class of '90 from Macon. Ruth and I moved to Trenton in '91 right after she graduated from Atlanta high school (10 miles north of Macon).
                        Heath
                        2014 JKU Rubicon X Package - Deceased - Thank you for your sacrifice in protecting my family.

Comment

Originally posted by Umbra Vipera View Post
                          Small world indeed! I'm actually just a tad older. :)

I was a member of the class of '90 from Macon. Ruth and I moved to Trenton in '91 right after she graduated from Atlanta high school (10 miles north of Macon).
                          Finally! Everyone I meet from back home is usually younger than me. My guess is we have some common connections since most of my friends were older than me.

Comment

2012 JK stock suspension bolts autopsy

2012 JK stock suspension bolts autopsy photo from top to bottom:
                            Front lower control arm & Rear upper control arm, stock M14 should be 9/16” (stock 5/8” shoulder)
                            Front upper control arm, stock M12 is correct (stock no shoulder)
                            Front track bar frame side, stock M14 is correct (stock no shoulder)
                            Front track bar axle side & Rear track bar, stock M14 should be 9/16” (stock no shoulder)
                            Rear lower control arm, stock M14 should be 9/16” (stock 1/4” shoulder)

The .0114 difference between M14 & 9/16” is just a bit more than 1/128” but if you put a 9/16” nut on a M14 bolt you can feel the “slop.” Notice the bolts that have some shoulder have interesting wear indications. Looking at original MOPAR parts these suspension bolts see duty in a number of other applications. The incorrect shoulder length (threads through a bushing?) and incorrect bolt size is obviously for manufactures cost savings not to mention our reverse engineering enjoyment.

Bottom line, the difference after installing the corrected hardware is noticeable. Daily driving, I’ll use the word again; I do not feel the “slop” & several public roadways that had initiated death wobble in the past were driven w/o issue. It might not solve all your front end drivability issues or mine for that matter; have to wheel and drive home for a more thorough test but I don't regret installing the corrected hardware.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by TommyG View Post
                              Finally! Everyone I meet from back home is usually younger than me. My guess is we have some common connections since most of my friends were older than me.
                              I wouldn't doubt it. In fact you probably saw me a few times. When you were in high school I would've been working at Hardees. :)
                              Heath

Comment

Working...
                              X