Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XJ voltage drop, 14.3 to 11.8 then to 0.0 in a few seconds, STUCK 100 mi from home...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ voltage drop, 14.3 to 11.8 then to 0.0 in a few seconds, STUCK 100 mi from home...

XJ voltage drop, 14.3 to 11.8 then to 0.0 in a few seconds, STUCK 100 mi from home...
    My XJ has a voltage drop, 14.3 to 11.8 then to 0.0 at every start within a few seconds. I have a new battery, even swapped it with another one, not the problem. Also have a new ZJ alternator (upgrade that replaced the XJ one) with 136 amps and its doing the exact same thing as when this problem started a few days back. any ideas? What controls the voltage from the alt. to the battery? Does the regulator signal from the ECU or ECM? I shut it off & it does the same thing over & over. Not to mention I'm 100 miles from home working outside. Thanks, Dean

The voltage regulator is probably built into the alternator. There should be a fusible link off the back of the alternator to the battery or the positive node of the distribution box. Check the connections there. Then check the ground connection from the engine to the frame to the battery...there should be a ground connection to the engine. My 87 had a steel band on top of the engine along the valve cover from the firewall. This is probably fragile and broken. Look for a ground from the passenger side frame rail to the engine block near the oil filter.
    Mike
    Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

Working...
    X