Debate on load rating on sidewalls

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debate on load rating on sidewalls

I'm looking at buying a set of 35x12.5r17. I have found a couple of tire choices that I'm interested in. The 1st is the wrangler mt with a sidewall rate of C. This is the only tire that I have found that is offered at this size. The 2nd is bfg mud terrain with a sidewall rate of D. I have been told that the bfg run a the smaller side and are not true to size. The last option is the nitto mt with a sidewall rate of E. I have only heard good things about the nitto tires. These tires will be going on a tj. I'm thinking the jeep weight will be around 4200 to 4500 lbs once completed.

Is the sidewall rate something to consider when buying tires? Is the sidewall rate E too stiff? I'm also open to different tire flavors.

Thanks,
    Cody

Sidewall rating should always be considered IMO when talking about Jeeps, larger SUVs, and trucks.
    What will the vehicle be hauling, towing, doing? Will it be wheeling? Will it strictly be on the road? What is the tire's load rating? How many plies are the sidewalls?
    I would say an E rated tire will be too much for a TJ. One E rated tire could probably come close to carrying the load of the entire Jeep. If you were to air that tire down you wouldn't likely get much "flex" in the sidewall because it is simply too stout of a tire for that rig. If it were me I wouldn't go beyond a D rated 4 ply sidewall tire for the posted application.

....and FWIW.....very few tires are true to size
    Last edited by JeepN4kc; 11-30-2015, 05:59 PM.
    -Mike B-
    '01 XJ Sport
    '11KK Limited

Comment

I am running 34X10.50X15 LTBs on me wrangler, and even after 5 years wear, I can be at 10 psi and the tire don't look that low ! .... I don't know its sidewall rating, but I am thinking its up there ! ;)
      I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
      Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
      it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
      Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

The jeep will be used for mostly as a weekend warrior. I plan on driving it to the trails and back. I don't intend on hauling or towing anything. I had the same concerns when airing the tires down and not getting the flex out of the sidewall due to the stiff sidewalls on a light vehicle.

Comment

You can click on the specifications of the tire and see the actual diameter of the tire FYI.
          I agree that Load Range E is too much for a wheeler, you won't be able to get the tire pressure low enough to flex and still hold it on the wheel with out beadlocks.
          35" tires are very common and there are a ton of choices out there. Being familiar with Cooper Tires I know that they had a load range C and D tire offered in the same size.

Comment

Working...
          X