Track bar relocation bracket?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Track bar relocation bracket?

Just wondering if anyone has installed a track bar relocation bracket? Recently put a 4" lift on my XJ & we pulled the brackets inward with a ratchet strap to get the OEM track bar to fit (didn't know any better). Of course, I got the death wobble on the highway.

Budget is really tight at the moment and was leaning towards the relocation bracket ($30) vs an adjustable track bar ($130). I've seen some mods where they've simply drilled a new hole to the right of the original (on the low side) but I'm too nervous to do that.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

Probably best with a drop bracket, but that also depends if your kit included a drop pitman arm.

Check out http://www.naxja.org/ for specifics on your situation. Its all XJs.
    Mike
    Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

as long as you keep the coil sprung 4 link, death wobble can pop up at any time, stock gets it, budget lifts get it, even the best engineered lifts apparently get it once in awile ! Its usually after hitting a bump at speed, so just slow down till it goes away, and then continue (avoiding bumps if ya can ) course not all bumps will start it ! ....:) It makes driving a front coils sprung jeep Exiteing ! ;)
      I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
      Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
      it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
      Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

If you want to do it right, get an adjustable track bar and new bracket. I used the Rubicon Express myself. Very easy to install. However, if you have no cash, then you should drill the axle mount and move the stock track bar. It is perfectly safe if you are careful and use good grade 8 hardware.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by ShowMe Cherokee View Post
          If you want to do it right, get an adjustable track bar and new bracket. I used the Rubicon Express myself. Very easy to install. However, if you have no cash, then you should drill the axle mount and move the stock track bar. It is perfectly safe if you are careful and use good grade 8 hardware.

Good luck!
          ^^^ this is how my front is set up. Oem tb with drilled out relo bolt hole.

It's solid enough to put on the road. No issues at all as far as wheeling.
          -Mike B-
          '01 XJ Sport
          '11KK Limited

Comment

Honestly i dont recommend drilling. It will work, but doesn't leave much metal there to hold bolt. The hole will eventually enlarge and it makes for bigger problems down the road. Track bar brackets are a cheap option, but keep in mind they too will bend and or break with the stress of constantly centering the axle. Your best bet is to spend the money on an adjustable track bar and do it right. I have seen them go pretty cheap on ebay. Keep in mind....this one bolt axle side......controls your ability to maintain control of the jeep. Without it you cannot steer. Personally, losing control at highway speeds would suck....not worth the short cut.
            "I've only been a Jeep owner a few years, but I'm finding that a Jeep is a lot like a woman. They clean up nice, but they're more fun when they're dirty..."
            Easy livin'--10 jku rubi ;),2012 cummins mega, 95 ZJ

Comment

I have seen way to many jeeps dead on the side of the road from re drilling the OEM bracket This really comes down to a safety issue. get the right part and get it fixed
              Last edited by Eatrocks; 11-13-2015, 07:50 AM.
              KB0ZNR
              05 LJ, Chevy LSS, 241OR, Mutt long arm, OBA, AEV High Line, Full cage, 35s tube steps and bumpers, 31.5 gal fuel tank

Comment

The RE drop/relocation bracket uses the stock 5/8" hole, and has you drill 2 additional 1/2" holes on the frame so it's using 3 bolts to secure. See photo 1 on the instructions here

I've had one on my '05 TJ for probably 6 or 7 years now, with zero issues. You'll have more trouble with the bolt on the axle end wallowing out than you will that track bar bracket, in my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Eatrocks View Post
                  I have seen way to many jeeps dead on the side of the road from re drilling the OEM bracket This really comes down to a safety issue. get the right part and get it fixed

wow ! ..... I have been to parks a couple dozen times over last 8 or 9 years (mostly first 4 or 5 before catching the Cancer ) , but have Never seen a jeep dead on side of road from a re drilled oem trac bar bracket ! :) ..... seen them dead from other things, but that's another subject ! ;)
                  Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

guess you a Rich don't get out much do you Bill. The front track bar bolt is a weak point most replacement bars up grade the axle bolt to a larger bolt. Just redrilling the bolt hole to the right is a poor way to do this. I guess that since I drive my jeep daily want it right.
                    KB0ZNR
                    05 LJ, Chevy LSS, 241OR, Mutt long arm, OBA, AEV High Line, Full cage, 35s tube steps and bumpers, 31.5 gal fuel tank

Comment

guess you a Rich don't get out much do you Bill. The front track bar bolt is a weak point most replacement bars up grade the axle bolt to a larger bolt. Just redrilling the bolt hole to the right is a poor way to do this. I guess that since I drive my jeep daily want it right.

I never re drilled mine, on me XJ, I had a total of 5 1/2" lift (bast. lift) and still had stock tracbar, pitman arm, and for awile, stock control arm mounts. I got lowered control arm mounts, but never noticed much difference. and it was me daily driver, as unlike others, it was me only ride and I drove it every day to work and trails for many years like this ! ...... so have walked the walk ! ;)
                      Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

but if I was a rich, I would probably have a decked out JK with all the toys ! ;)
                        instead of a XJ (then) and beat up YJ now for trails (and daily driver) but have a worn out CJ I am prepping for daily driving so I can dedicate YJ for trails ! ;)
                        Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

I never re-drilled the axle bolt on mine. I reinforced it with grade 8 washers, and drilled then 1/2" holes for the relocation bracket on the frame end (which is what he was asking about - a track bar relocation bracker).... Not sure what you mean by "not getting out much" or what that has to do with how something's installed. I installed both my trackbar & relocation bracket according to the RE instructions. Not sure whether you consider that "right" or not. I was just sharing my experience (with a TJ).

On the XJ's I've heard that the track bar bracket/brace combination is strongly recommended if you wheel it, to prevent the frame end from flexing/breaking. I don't have first hand experience with that though.

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
                            I never re-drilled the axle bolt on mine. I reinforced it with grade 8 washers, and drilled then 1/2" holes for the relocation bracket on the frame end (which is what he was asking about - a track bar relocation bracker).... Not sure what you mean by "not getting out much" or what that has to do with how something's installed. I installed both my trackbar & relocation bracket according to the RE instructions. Not sure whether you consider that "right" or not. I was just sharing my experience (with a TJ).

On the XJ's I've heard that the track bar bracket/brace combination is strongly recommended if you wheel it, to prevent the frame end from flexing/breaking. I don't have first hand experience with that though.
                            good post, except the end, as XJs don't have frames to flex or break ! ;)
                            Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

They are talking about an xj...so if you are using a drop bracket from frame end (unirail) then thats cool as most lift kits use a hd drop bracket there to reinforce the unirail.

If you are talking axle end drop bracket, which is popular with the budget builds on xj,zj...id stay clear. BUT the axle side drop is much safer on a dual rig than drilling out the bolt hole.
                              (PS....the ones who have claimed they have done this drilling successfully are generally the ones who tow rig back and forth and don't have to worry about the death wobble.)

Frame end between your lj and an xj are hands down a different ball game rich. But i understood where your coming from. I guess the real question should be to original poster....which drop bracket are you referring to?
                              "I've only been a Jeep owner a few years, but I'm finding that a Jeep is a lot like a woman. They clean up nice, but they're more fun when they're dirty..."
                              Easy livin'--10 jku rubi ;),2012 cummins mega, 95 ZJ

Comment

Working...
                              X