4.0 Motor differences between the TJ, Cherokee and G Cherokee

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4.0 Motor differences between the TJ, Cherokee and G Cherokee

What are the differences, if any, between the 4.0s that came in the TJs, Cherokees and G Cherokees? I may need to replace the engine in my TJ and was wondering if I could use any 4.0 or if there are some that won't work in the TJ.
    sigpic
    Reed Brunk, You can have joy like mine too! It's a Jeep thing again!
    99TJ: 4:88s, 8.8 with OX Locker, 36 TSLs, Homemade mid-arm rear 4 link and front 3 link suspension, Over the knuckle Chevy Tie-rod end steering, AW4 auto tranny swap, and lots of dents and dings!

if you use your original electronics and fuel injection, intake and throttle body, etc. there shouldn't be any difference. but start swapping electronics..... I have No Idea !
    I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
    Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
    it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
    Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

As long as you do not use a WJ block then you should be fine. They motor mount points were a little different per a friend of mine. I personally have not ran into it. I always try to stick around the same year, if you do that with the TJ then you should be fine. There are subtle differences between them, but nothing that should keep it from working.
      Some people just need to get over themselves.

Comment

I have a couple used engines Reed. Both still in behicles. Both eun great.
        4x4LAND.com
        Mike
        Knowledge is priceless

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, I've seen a lot of XJ 4.0s and engines from WJs on craigslist but not many TJs. I haven't torn into it yet so I am not exactly sure what is wrong with it, but if it needed another engine then I wanted find out if other 4.0s were compatible. Mike if I end up needing one I'll give you a call.
          Last edited by Grumpy Dwarf; 09-09-2015, 03:36 PM.
          sigpic
          Reed Brunk, You can have joy like mine too! It's a Jeep thing again!
          99TJ: 4:88s, 8.8 with OX Locker, 36 TSLs, Homemade mid-arm rear 4 link and front 3 link suspension, Over the knuckle Chevy Tie-rod end steering, AW4 auto tranny swap, and lots of dents and dings!

Comment

Working...
          X