Fuel Pressure issue????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Pressure issue????

Ok, I'll cover what all I've done so far in case it's relative to troubleshooting....

Went to KS rocks a few weeks back. At the gas station, I heard hissing after I parked so opened the gas cap to relieve it. Wheeled that day & all went well. On the way back, I the jeep sputtered out & had way too much pressure so ended up leaving the gas cap slightly opened the rest of the way home & seemed to "work". I ended up testing the fuel pressure & it was running 60 psi (~twice what it should be). Wasn't sure if it was the pressure regulator or plugged return line so I disconnected the return line, checked the pressure again, & it was back to spec (31 psi, 40 psi when vacuum line disconnected). I disconnected the rear connection of the return line & was still at spec so had to be in the tank. I blew in the return into the tank & couldn't (too much resistance). Boom, found it.

So I pulled the tank & saw that the skid plate must have been smashed in enough to plug the return line. Note the return line for fuel line is rigid & goes to the bottom of the tank & has a rubber bushing around it to help hold it in place. Point being, once that tank is pressed up ~1/2" or so, the return line was plugged..... great design.

So I took out the fuel pump, cut off ~1/4" of the rigid return line & notched/trimmed the bushing as well. I also took the BFH to the skid plate to work it back in place. It's the stock plate so not too thick.

So I put her all back together, double checking the fuel pressure before buttoning her all up & everything went fine.... or so I thought.

Heading back down to KS rocks today & about a half hour down 69, it started sputtering & loss power. I pulled over, relieved the pressure with the gas cap as well as fuel rail, tinkered with a few other things & after several turns, finally got it running. WHEW!

Kept the gas cap loose & drove her back. Checked the pressure at home & pressure was still at spec. daaaaang.

So jeep seems to be working fine & only way to find the issue is to drive it for a half hour on the highway. Not that great for troubleshooting. It seems to be working fine, but I thought that before I drove it earlier & acted up.

So my question is, does anyone have any ideas on how I can troubleshoot my problems or what to look for? Anything I need to replace? Would too much fuel pressure for so long have fouled up something else? Plugs? injectors?......pump?

Thanks in advance for the input!

Anyone?.... Bueller?

Comment

Is your evaporator canister and tubing to that stuff working right? That would cause excessive pressure build up in the gas tank.

If your dead certain its the fuel line pressure. Head over to Harbor Freight, buy one of their fuel line pressure gauges, hook it up to the Schrader valve and see what kind of pressure your getting at the fuel rail?

Things I think about.

Wally

Comment

Am I sure about the pressure? Yes & no. When it first acted up, I rented the tool from Oreilly's, tested it, & got 60 psi. I figured I'd have ongoing issues trying to troubleshoot this so I bought one from HF for $20 (gotta love HF & they have a new one in Olathe!).

Disconnecting the return line near the tank, it went back to 31 psi. I blew into the return line going into the tank & had a LOT of resistance.. That pretty much pinpointed my issue, so I pulled the tank out, smashed out the gas tanks skid plate (since it was dented in & pushing on the return line.....I guess), put it all back together, & everything worked with the pressure at 31 psi normally, 40 when the vacuum line is disconnected (back to spec). After all that, it seemed to be working fine, so I went out again, but after a half hour on the highway, it had the same symptoms as before. Sputtered out, lost some power, I pulled over & it died. I tinkered with the fuel lines, got it running, got home, tested the pressure & was still at spec so I'm lost as to what it could be. I fixed the plugged return line, got the pressure back to normal, & still acting up.

I'll take a look at the evaporator canister, but I've never worked or tested them so any input is appreciated, however, I'll google it regardless.
        Last edited by mujeeper; 09-05-2015, 04:33 PM.

Comment

I can't think of anything else? Other than Googling or taking it in?

Wally

Comment

I'm wanting to replace the vapor canister, but can't seem to find the part anywhere. It should be CP1061, but I've ran across forums of people saying CP3045 will work & possibly CRB 220052. I've already asked the guys at oreillys & AAP. Was gonna try Napa next, but everything I've read lead me to think that finding a direct replacement is impossible & the manufacturer doesn't even have the part. I'm not opposed to modding one in (as I've read that some have), but I don't know much about these & what is possible on them, although they seem pretty straightforward. Just don't want to mod them in & screw something else up. Also, looking for a new one, not a used so that rules out salvage yards.

Comment

Originally posted by mujeeper View Post
              I'm wanting to replace the vapor canister, but can't seem to find the part anywhere. It should be CP1061, but I've ran across forums of people saying CP3045 will work & possibly CRB 220052. I've already asked the guys at oreillys & AAP. Was gonna try Napa next, but everything I've read lead me to think that finding a direct replacement is impossible & the manufacturer doesn't even have the part. I'm not opposed to modding one in (as I've read that some have), but I don't know much about these & what is possible on them, although they seem pretty straightforward. Just don't want to mod them in & screw something else up. Also, looking for a new one, not a used so that rules out salvage yards.
              Call MIKE @4X4Land :)

Comment

Did you ever figure out the fuel pressure issue?

Comment

Nope. Mostly because I've been too busy & too hard to find a vapor canister. Nobody has a direct replacement part so I probably need to find an acceptable substitute, but even those are hard to find (from what I've googled/researched online). Although to make matters better..... I can't get it to start now. It turns, but doesn't fire up. I replaced the CPS & starter (both under lifetime warranty so no $), but still not starting. My next troubleshooting to that is to try starting with a plug out & near a ground to see if I have spark. I just replaced the plugs so they SHOULD be fine, but maybe new plugs ARE the issue. I had my jeep in the driveway for a while & disconnected my plug from the dist cap to the ignition coil in case someone tried to steal it & hasn't started since. Yes, the wire is hooked up again. I did disconnect the battery in case anything needed to reset too.

Hopefully this next weekend, I can troubleshoot to see if I'm getting spark & if not, where & why not, but I'm open to any other input as always.

Comment

Pull the cap and see if the rotor rotates. On a road trip with kids and a teardrop in tow years ago, I stopped for gas and couldn't get it to restart. The distributor and gear were the issue. Luckily, near a location where a replacement was on a warehouse shelf.

You can always set distributor (rotor at plug #1 position) and pull distributor to check out the gear.
                    Mike
                    Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

Thanks for the input. I was actually going to start testing for spark on the coil, wires, plugs, etc to see if I can find the issue, but saw amazon has MSD coils for about $42 & what I have is 20 years old, so figured may as well replace it & worst case, I have a new ignition coil. Turns out for once in my life, I was right. I replaced the coil yesterday & it fired up. I'm hoping that maybe that was the reason it sputtered out & left me stranded on the highway before (fingers crossed).

All I gotta do is put my front DS in & it's back to the trails to break something else! Wohoo!

Comment

A bad coil can do weird things.

I had a Ford Escape with a coil on plug set up, it would act up occasionally when it got hot, often took 30+ minutes. One day it just quit! Had to replace 3 of the 6 coils!

I had them tested twice before they took a big dump and it couldn't be reproduced.

Wally

Comment

Working...
                        X