Winch questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winch questions

So for a JKU has anyone used a Engo Winch? I'm looking at the epf10000s. Looks like a good deal at http://4wheelonline.com/ENGO_Winches.173508, its about 1/2 the best price I have found on the Warn VR10000-s
    Scott

Recently, on the trail, i witnessed a brand new one used for the first time. It was making a very bad grinding noise and kinda did this studder skip when under power. First one i have ever seen work. I wasnt impressed.
    4x4LAND.com
    Mike
    Knowledge is priceless

Comment

That is good lead you shared. I will surely check it out, for right now I'm on the hunt of a new winch kit.

Comment

By the way which brand would you suggest EGO or Warn?

Comment

We sell warn,smittybilt,rough country, mile marker and bulldog. It reqlly depends on usage. How much weight and how often as well as how long you plan to have it. Pound for pound the warn is worth the money if you plan to keep it for a long time. If its a couple few years i would recomend the smittybilt h2o series.
          4x4LAND.com
          Mike
          Knowledge is priceless

Comment

So what is the lowest reliable pull weight could I go for on a TJ? I would think it would be light use so what options do have for under or around 300 dollars?
            Nathan

Comment

this winch for your tow rigs trailer ? or for your jeep on trails ?
              I ask, as this is a Tow Rig Thread .
              I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
              Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
              it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
              Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

My fault spune, its for my jeep. I didnt see any other winch posts so I figured ild add to this one.
                Nathan

Comment

I wouldn't go any lower than a 9000# pull rating.

Snatch blocks can help reduce the working load and give you mechanical advantage. But any shock load to the system can easily exceed the weight of your rig and/or the one being recovered - 2 fold.

Any 9000# winch is gonna be hard to come by for under or even at $300. I would expect to have to spend in the $375-$500 for a good, reliable, new winch, not including a solid winch plate or mounting bracket or fairlead.

One last thing - I would absolutely recommend synthetic line.........
                  Last edited by JeepN4kc; 02-11-2016, 10:52 AM.
                  -Mike B-
                  '01 XJ Sport
                  '11KK Limited

Comment

Thanks for the recommendation. Ill just save more and get a qaulity winch to start with. So synthetic line is the way to go? Ive noticed the price jumps quickly with that feature. Whats the pros over standard steel line? I assume lighter so its easier to pull? Synth line probably doesnt fray as bad either. I have zero experience with winchs.
                    Nathan

Comment

Synthetic line is better for several reasons:

1. Safer - it doesn't hold kinetic energy like cable does when it's put under load. If a loaded cable snaps it's gonna get ugly. If a loaded syn line snaps it's gonna fall to the ground for the most part.
                      2. It's lighter
                      3. It doesn't kink and bind through the lifetime of winding/unwinding
                      4. It doesn't fray and leave steel splinters in the line like cable will

Syn line is more expensive but IMO it's worth the extra $
                      -Mike B-
                      '01 XJ Sport
                      '11KK Limited

Comment

Originally posted by JeepN4kc View Post
                        Synthetic line is better for several reasons:

1. Safer - it doesn't hold kinetic energy like cable does when it's put under load. If a loaded cable snaps it's gonna get ugly. If a loaded syn line snaps it's gonna fall to the ground for the most part.
                        2. It's lighter
                        3. It doesn't kink and bind through the lifetime of winding/unwinding
                        4. It doesn't fray and leave steel splinters in the line like cable will

Syn line is more expensive but IMO it's worth the extra $
                        Agreed 100% but I don't have a winch (currently at least)
                        Last edited by RoKn; 02-11-2016, 03:46 PM.

Comment

I just purchased a Smittybilt XRC-9.5 Gen2 with cable rather than synthetic. Got it for $270 shipped. I originally planned on putting it on my JKU but put it on at least temporarily on my YJ. Goal is to get a sythetic line winch for my YJ and move it to my JKU where it won't be used a whole lot (hopefully).
                          2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Altitude Edition
                          1976 CJ-7

Comment

I have been looking at the same smittybilt winch also qaudratecs. I had a few guys say the badlands winch's from harbor freight are actually decent but I've read mixed reviews online. Its a tough decision trying to find one with no prior experience.
                            Nathan

Comment

Something else to think about, a larger battery. Need to consider a 700+ amp battery for winching. Doesn't need to be "X" brand, just a bigger battery.

As far as synthetic, 3/8" is the way to go. It doesn't break with an 8-9k winch, not unless its abused. I have some 3/8" blue that is almost 10 years old, lots of winching, zero failures.

Wally

Comment

Working...
                              X