No announcement yet.

Winch questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow 10 years on that line, how often has it been used. Just curious. I have been doing some research and like you said I'll need a beefier battery.

Does anyone know if any winch can have synthetic line added later or are the drums specific to the line type?
    Nathan

Comment

How often? Its been on two vehicles since 2005, 5-7 times a year on average for 10 years. It won't take abuse like steel cable, but its much easier to handle on steep terrain, ie no twists, kinks, little burrs that poke your fingers. If you wrap it tight, each time, it won't get pinched on itself either. I have stalled out a 9K winch with almost a full spool of synthetic and no pinches that had to be tugged out.

The drum needs to be clean and burr free ie no sharp areas that can rub-cut-tear up the winch rope.

I would recommend an aluminum fairlead. I tried a composite one from a reputable name brand, and have several rub spots on it where the winch rope started cut into the fair lead from hard side pulls. Perhaps the plastic in the composite is better than it used to be, now days? (This was about 10 years ago) Aluminum stays nice and shiny and have never had any issues with them. Of course you can use the roller fairleads that typically come with a winch, they need to be burr free, just like the winch drum.

You will need a mount of some sort as well.

Another direction to consider on the cheap. Look for a broken winch, with what appears to be failed solenoids. Rebuild the winch, source on-line wholesalers for parts. I have used DB electric to rebuild an old Belleview M8000 (forerunner to the 8674). I purchased a new motor (permanent magnet replacement), wired solenoids, bought a controller for about $200 several years ago.

Wally

Comment

Wally I have been searching used/broken winch's just no luck yet. I would gladly put the troubleshooting time in to acquire a better quality winch for the right price.
        Nathan

Comment

8 to 10 k is what ya want for a winch for YJ or CJ .... if you have a Heavier JK, 9 to 12 would probably be better choice. But if you pulling another jeep, it is some times better to Anchor yours, as a 3 to 4 K vehicle winching same from mud will pull your rig towards it !
          I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
          Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
          it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
          Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

I don't know the reputation of TuffStuff winches but LOVE my TuffStuff4x4 front bumper on my YJ. 12,500 pound winch is on sale this weekend for $299 (use coupon code wknd1 for an additional 15% off!)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
            2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Altitude Edition
            1976 CJ-7

Comment

Just picked up a pair of Tuff Stuff 12,500 Winches along with a new front bumper for my daughter's JK and a new rear bumper & tire carrier for my YJ. The 15% just seemed too good to pass up. Guess I'm getting down to deciding what I am doing for tires/wheels and a front locker........
              1976 CJ-7

Comment

Congrats on the new toys. Wish I had more disposable income lol.
                Nathan

Comment

disposable income is hard to come by ! .... disposable wives is another matter ! :) been thru 3 so far ! :)
                  Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

Lol spunebil.
                    Nathan

Comment

LOL. i may be headed that way spunebil... just ordered tires/wheels now too! Not sure she even knows about the last purchase yet.
                      1976 CJ-7

Comment

I got the Warn VR12000, love it works every time with no issues.

Kyle
                        Kyle
                        White Lightning - 2013 JK Sport S Wrangler
                        Midnight Raider - 1999 Mustang GT
                        1997 Ford F-250 4X4

Comment

I looking for a warn 8724 ? want me CJ to look Retro ! even getting white wagon wheels for it too
                          Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

Used - "Not pretty but working”"
                            Warn M8274 8274 Winch upright Jeep Ford Dodge | eBay Motors, Parts & Accessories, Car & Truck Parts | eBay!
                            Kyle
                            White Lightning - 2013 JK Sport S Wrangler
                            Midnight Raider - 1999 Mustang GT
                            1997 Ford F-250 4X4

Comment

I wont buy one from ebay..... it could be rusted solid, but once ya buy it, its yours ! .....buyer beware ! .... I would rather get one locally so I can see if it works and stuff before I hand over the Mulla !
                              Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

Working...
                              X